1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I re-fueled today, cut-off, here is needle, little less than full -

IMG_20131127_095050.jpg
  2. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    I heard somewhere that its harmful to run the Diesel engine on empty belly unlike the petrol where it runs even on the last drop of fuel sufficient fuel say some 4-5 ltrs reserve is necessary for running the car..
  3. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    AFAIK the above is Not true, to prevent air lock, 4-5ltrs is always unused or what others refer to as dead stock
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Try different fuel dispensing machine next time preferably which looks new. Diff machines have auto cut off pressure set differently.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    As the fuel level in the tank rises, the distance between the dispenser nozzle and the fuel grows smaller. A small pipe called a venturi runs alongside the fuel nozzle, usually inside the dispensing pipe. When the end of the venturi pipe becomes submerged in the rising fuel, it chokes off the air pressure that holds the nozzle handle open and shuts down the flow of gas. This shutdown can sometimes happen before the tank is full as the rapidly flowing fuel backs up on its way into the tank. This can cause the dispenser handle to spring open before pumping is complete. Pausing briefly will allow the fuel to continue into the tank and the pump nozzle to start pumping fuel again.

Also, there is a spring wound around the dispenser pipe, which help retaining the nozzle in the fuel inlet. The presence and length of this spring determines how far inside the nozzle can go. The farther the nozzle goes in, the sooner auto cut-off kicks in. I usually fill at the same shell pump, and the needle always shows a bit below full at auto-cut off. However, if I request for top up, then it is possible to fit in another 2-3 lts of petrol.

I usually fill up when the fuel gauge is at the 1/3rd mark and expect ~ 30 lts to fit is. This quantity usually ranges between 27 to 32 lts.

Rajan
    3 people like this.
  6. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Two days back I as on low fuel and at the second low fuel warning, Range started showing '----', although the fuel needle was at a bit above E.
    The next day morning after some 5 kms, needle became E and I felt like engine would not go beyond 1500 rpm. Did any one else feel the same?
    I did not push hard, as I did not want stalling the car in the middle of the road. I reached fuel station in another 3 kms and filled for 40 liters.
  7. Iyu

Iyu Timido

bangalore
    When the range goes below 50km, it starts showing '----'.

Regarding the engine not reviving beyond 1500rpm - I never experienced such a scenario...
    the experts need to comment on it..
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  8. iamharishkm

iamharishkm Timido

Bangalore
    Disconnected hose in the engine bay. Help needed!!

After a repair service, they gave my Linea back without connecting a hose to the engine and I drove the car - failing to realize this for a week. :mad:

------------------------------------------

Ok. The incident goes like this -

After a repair serivce (Brake pads, Brake linings, Front Discs, Suspension got replaced), immediately after taking the delivery, I had notice that the car is lacking in some pulling power. When I bought this issue with Vecto, they did some thorough technical inspection and said that everything is perfectly fine and power is all good. I took the delivery and upon checking I found that the power is still bad and also there is some rough sound coming from the engine. The technical expert from fiat said that this is because of bad quality fuel and you should change your fuel station. I was not ready to believe this but thought of giving it a try. Nothing worked. After a week, once when I was cleaning the dust inside bonnet I came to notice that a hose is not connected to the engine. I immediately connected it and since then the car is behaving fine. Power is back and all good.

My questions are this -

What might have happened to my engine?
    How should I take this with Vecto people?
    What are my rights here?
    Can I ask the service centre to change engine oil free of cost as this is the part where dust goes mainly?

Please advice.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I am not sure what you mean by "Air filter was not connected to the engine". I assume, it means that the hose from the air filter box to the intake valve was disconnected. These hoses are supposed to have ring clamps at each end to hold them in place. Was the ring clamp present? Did you clamp it? If not, can you please pop your bonnet open and check if the connection, that you fixed, is still holding up? If possible, please post a picture of your engine bay, highlighting what you fixed.

I am no expert, but here are my answers to your questions:

What might have happened to my engine?

The air filter is there to filter out air borne particles from entering the engine. While it is OK to run the engine briefly without the air filter for a short duration, in a garage or controlled environment, it is not OK to drive the car without the air filter. It is possible that dust has entered your engine and scoured your pistons. Do you notice any difference in the car's noise or performance, even after fitting the air filter back? The damage can be serious and irreversible. Very expensive to fix.

How should I take this with Vecto people?

It might be too late for that. Had you noticed the difference in the first few kms after taking delivery, you could have gone back to the workshop and questioned them. I am afraid it might be impossible for you to prove that the air filter was disconnected when you took delivery, after all these days, after driving for a week and then having fixed it yourself.

What are my rights here?

Rights with respect to what? Please elaborate.

Can I ask the service centre to change engine oil free of cost as this is the part where dust goes mainly?

See answer to Q2. Also, if only engine oil has gone bad, you should consider yourself very lucky.

Rajan
  10. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    First things first... go and blast the Service Center General manager for this negligence... write an email to FIAT and call up the FIAT customer care...lodge a complaint... they will arrange for a free check up of your car. They will deal with anything.... make a lot of noise about it ...