1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Yes, I am talking about pumping, though in a slightly different manner. Why is it not recommended on ABS cars?
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Re: How often did you sense ABS-EBD kicking in?

Because you are doing the job of ABS. :D .Even Schumacher cant pulse the brakes as ABS does.
    Let ABS do it job.

P.S :- Pumping is used on non ABS cars to avoid wheel lockup.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030D using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  3. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Okay. I thought you were saying pumping on ABS cars somehow damages either ABS or the brakes.

BTW, I absolutely don't drive like Schumi, though I don't know how he drives his own car.:-D
  4. My M800 did not had any ABS,i did cover 1.65 kkms in it in 11 years,still have 2003 low floor zen it has done 50k kms.
    My Wagon R did 67k kms in 3 years,punto has done 53k kms in 3.5 years.

Other than these cars,i have driven rentals cars like PT cruiser, Ford Focus,Kia mini SUV dont remember the model and Pontiac G6.

I work as part time freelance Auto journalist, so get to drive most of the cars lunched in India.recently i drove Honda Amaze.

I also used to be biker,other than Karizma ,all other bikes came to reboring stage before i sold them off.

Two of my cars did not had any ABS,I did not feel the need for it my maximum drive is in non ABS cars itself.but as you said i also used to use engine brakeing.
    But once i started driving ABS cars i noticed that i would lock wheels in a non ABS car.

May be i am putting more pressure on the pedal in my Zen as there is no feed back like in Punto.

P.S: I am neither old or young:)
    2 people like this.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Re: How often did you sense ABS-EBD kicking in?

Not damage to ABS, rather bit of recalculation to controller:your pulsating results as rectification of error.
    Schimi drives Tjet at least in this add and let me leave this schumu and tjet subject to Rajan. :D
    Watch "Fiat Linea T-Jet - Michael Schumacher" on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yppxI-hnYOI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030D using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  6. nishweth

nishweth Amatore

kannur,kerala
    Maybe instrument cluster failure.
  7. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    IMHO, Pumping on an ABS equipped car can turn out to be disastrous by considerably increasing the braking distance. The ABS is designed to do the pumping job for you. So by pumping, you are not allowing ABS to act appropriately.

Also upon pumping a few times, the brake booster looses all it's vacuum and the pedal will become hard with zero braking efficiency.

Downshifting for Engine braking assistance during panic braking is a very good idea though. This comes with practice though, people tend to keep the clutch pressed while panic braking which effectively zeroes out the engine braking.
    2 people like this.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Simply put - Speed depends on the machine; stopping depends on you.

Sad that 60-0 timings are not discussed as aggressively as 0-60 timings. Jeremy Clarkson rightly observed - “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”

Rajan
  9. Need exprert advice.

99% chances the need of the hour is a battery change.
    I too had this "hot" start issue and carried it along for few months, all was well after the simple battery change (OEM battery lasted 3 years)
    Good luck Sree :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  10. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    pics

DSC_0870.jpg DSC_0871.jpg

i went to fass as per them i need to change cluster and its around 28000 Rs.
    I am lucky that 10 days left for extended warranty