1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Oh.. hazard flashers during emergency brakes in Fiat cars is a new information to me. Thought it's a new feature in Ford ecosport.
  2. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    Same thing happend with me today but before going blank it showed some weird characters on mid and then went full blank
  3. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Thanks to Fiat marketing department, if any. :D
    1 person likes this.
  4. People might have different opinion about abs helps to reduce the braking distance or not, I for one can vouch for this the braking distance does reduce considerably..its common sense when tyres dont skid and roll(due to abs) the friction will be more due to the rolling distance and stopping distance will reduce...
    Some facts are better left undiscussed(dont refer to google), if you have personal experience then only share it..The thread title clearly states it.
    Regards

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Correct. Our cars are equipped with sensors and electronics to calculate all of this and use EBD to adjust braking appropriately. There is no way one can miss the pulsating action. It is too pronounced for anyone to miss.

Thanks for sharing that video. It puts to rest a lot of doubts. Much appreciated.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  6. I drive non ABS zen , it's braking distance i shorter compared to punto from 60-0 on hard breaking, but i end up locking wheels many times(ABS has spoiled me).
    But when i don't do hard braking Punto seems to be better.ABS is for you having control of the car in situations rather car controlling you.
  7. Re: How often did you sense ABS-EBD kicking in?

Exactly...abs helps us not only to prevent the tyre from skidding but also it helps(atleast I have observed) to increase the distance to impact..
    In my swift abs still the wheel locks at very hard braking..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Sat, there is something called threshold braking. Coupled with engine braking, it is possible to stop an identical non-ABS car, much sooner than it's ABS counterpart. ABS is very handy to have in wet and slippery conditions, but on dry tarmac, ABS is more of an handicap and it definitely increases stopping distance, as threshold braking is difficult in an ABS equipped car.

No idea how old you are and how long you have been driving (will find out tomorrow:D), but when I learnt to drive, not many cars had ABS and I learnt and practised threshold braking. As a matter of fact, my first 3 cars were non - ABS. My Beemer was the first car with ABS and I had to unlearn threshold braking, only to pick up again when I came back to India and picked up the Palio (Non-ABS). Now back on the ABS band wagon :D

Rajan
  9. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    +1 to what Rajan says above. You can almost replicate ABS action on a non-ABS car, if you are trained & used to doing it. I for one have got so used to this that the ABS on my Linea is practically useless till date. Of course, I still have not had to panic brake, but whenever I brake, I use a pulsating action on the brake pedal (along with downshifting) till the car slows down enough.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Re: How often did you sense ABS-EBD kicking in?

Didn't get your point here.Are you talking about pumping of the brakes ? If yes,its not recommended on ABS car.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030D using Tapatalk 4 Beta