1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Can we please leave this "Reduces braking distance" out? Neither ABS nor EBD is designed for this purpose. They are meant for something else, altogether - your safety. This misconception of "reduced braking distance" only inculcates a feeling of "in control" to maniacs who do not know the difference between a Japanese tin box and a well built car. Such idiots learn the very hard way, if they do learn at all - by crashing.

Rajan
    3 people like this.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    OK let me post in off topic thread.Happy to quit. :)

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030D using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    I had felt the ABS kicking in once during my recent trip to Shirdi where I had brake harder than normal since I had avoid a few stray goats which veered on the road. I could feel the pulsations in the brakes, but the fantastic braking renewed my faith in Fiat coz its simply awesome.
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Why quit Ganges?

See, the problem is a new car owner / driver, logs on to the forum and reads through what we post. After a few pages and posts, they start considering themselves as experts of some sort. Then they go around telling everyone "My car has ABS/EBD. I can stop safely from speeds like 150 kmph", without realizing that driving at 150 kmph in itself is dangerous. Then one fine morning, they crash, because the car failed to stop in the distance they anticipated it would. Then they understand that on loose surfaces like gravel or sand, ABS can significantly increase braking distance, although still improving vehicle control.

Improved vehicle control comes with driving experience, in real world conditions. The aforementioned "experts" would not crash, had they understood how ABS/EBD works, rather than being fixated on "reduced braking distance", and would have tried to steer away safely, instead of just standing on the brakes, with the clutch depressed fully and expecting technology to do magic.

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Rajan,
    Quit is for the word " reduces braking distance " :D. These kind off words should go into off topic thread i meant.
    You are right from new customer's point of view.Safety-Firstâ„¢ !!!

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030D using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  6. Sree3070

Sree3070 Amatore

Chennai
    Car is 3 year old now... if it is battery problem .. the issue should be viceversa right ? and can rechage the stock battery, or need to replace ??. how muc the new battery wil cost ?
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Starter motor seems be the issue, for the starting trouble. There is a rubber bush in the starter motor, which expands and prevents the motor from turning when hot. Having said that, the other symptoms described do point to a failing battery.

Do get both checked.

Rajan
  8. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Re: Need exprert advice.

I had the same issue with my mjd. For three months, I faced this. It left me stranded 3 times in the highway. Luckily waiting for 20 mins did the trick. I too thought that battery should get charged when I run. But the reverse was happening, highway driving with 4 lights and ac drained more juice from the batty, and immediately try to start the engine failed. 20 min break allowed the battery to recoup.

Google for "Palio multijet starting issue when warm" and you shall find my thread. And resolution.

55 ah battery will cost you around 5.5 k

sent from mobile device, excuse typos
    1 person likes this.
  9. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    AFAIK, EBD is similar to ESP, with latter providing a better steering control (help stabilize under/over steer) by sensing the steering input too with the help of a Yaw sensor. After all, EBD & ESP take help of the ABS for controlling the brake action.

The video gives a better idea of the ABS. Watch for a Punto in action at 2:43 and 3:41 :)

OK I should ask my long standing doubt here. So, our cars have some sort of weight measuring sensor? or some kind of calculation based on the length of the suspension spring travel? (like the Italian job Charlie does it :D)

May be the pulsating action is very minimal for most of us to realize.

Just out of curiousness: I know it is difficult to observe the brake lights from inside, but do they also pulse when ABS kicks in?:ugeek:
  10. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Not sure, but during emergency braking situations, the hazard flashers come on temporarily.