1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Well.. ABS+EBD is not a comfort feature but safety.
    As I heard from others and based on my personal experience what I felt, the ABS kicking in action judders the brake pedal. So, it can be very well felt.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Think of every situation where the tyre will lose traction - the ABS will kick in there. On the same stretch of road, two tyres which offer varied levels of grip will cause different ABS reactions. Way too many variables.

More important than ABS is the driver's knowledge of ABS itself. All drivers must be given learning on what exactly ABS is and how to exploit it when the need arises. Someone can very well freak out when they experience ABS kicking in for the first time. Let alone helping, ABS might prove harmful. To the driver who knows ABS inside out - he can pretty much steer the car using ABS away from harm. Everywhere you hear people praising ABS as a god sent technology and saying it automatically makes a car safer. Unless you know how it works, it is not going to make your drive safer. I am not pointing at any one here , just a general sentiment. I'm myself unsure as to how I will handle a situation which demands I steer the car while the ABS is kicking in - because I have no practice.

But always endeavor to drive in a manner which pre-empts braking situations and eliminate emergency braking scenarios - as far as possible. ABS is something which I wouldn't want to experience. And luckily I haven't on proper roads.

Rajan, the jury is out as to whether ABS increases or decreases distance. But that's a certified can of worms topic I tell you. :)

Cheers.
    5 people like this.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    rajan,gurjinder,pdydeva
    Then what EBD is doing? Isn't it always tailing ABS ?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030D using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  4. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Ganges - EBD is responsible for providing more brake force to a wheel that is refusing to stop, as in the outer wheel when braking in a curve. ABS is to release the brake from a wheel that is refusing to spin. They actually work against each other, but compliment each other, if that makes any sense :evilsmile

Rajan
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    rajan,
    Ebd goes with weight front and rear.if suppose weight is more in front then more brake force is applied to front wheel.Even though Abs is doing its job,ebd always keeps poking ABS :D

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    That's what happened when I experienced it for the first time. I got down and checked the state of wheel and tires when I felt the brake pedal pulsating.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Re: How often did you sense ABS-EBD kicking in?

EBD is comfort feature here.

8. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Adding with Rajan's Point:-

EBD is separate feature which comes with ABS. When Car is moving through uneven surface then brake force is not same in each wheel. When you apply brake, more force will apply on the same wheel which is tilted more. So EBD will distribute whole brake force in each wheel depend on the load one wheel is accepting. In even surface this brake force is same on each wheel.
    1 person likes this.
  9. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Of course everyone feels comfortable to drive in a safe car :) But, Fiat (and most other car websites) list ABS+EBD under safety section.
    May be you are talking about the "Brake Assist" feature in some cars, which is different from EBD.
  10. Sree3070

Sree3070 Amatore

Chennai
    Need expert advice.

frinds need advice on the below issues.

• Car is not gettting started when engin hot - After driving for some time when i stop the car it is not getting started, after 20 to 30 min once engin is coll down is geting stated. i am not able to understand the issue.
    • Airbag failure notice message is falsing contiously.
    • Blue and me is going crazy at times. some of the options wil not work at all. after some time is started working automatically.
    • wiper is stop working suddely, once i chaned the fuse however with in 2 weeks its stopped agin.

Please help understand the what could be reason for this issue. i almost completed 30000KM and need to take it for servicing soon.

Sreejith