1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. EBD works always but ABS once in while on hard braking or going over huge speed breakers.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    @Sat, Just curious to know..

with a ABS/EBD enabled car .. Can you pull the handbrake and try to do a J-Spin (purposefully on gravel)
    Or will the ABS system interfere and not allow the rear tires to lock up ?? I dont know. Coz I have the Palio Multijet and its easy to do a J-Spin on it.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Only on slushy roads till date. Never experienced it kicking in on metalled roads.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Re: How often did you sense ABS-EBD kicking in?

The story goes as, last week while coming back from the wayanad meet, we were three 90 hps speeding(most of the roads are bilane till mysore) this happened 50 kms before mysore, I was driving at 100+kmph,a yellow zen parked in the extreme left(outside road) decides to lazily crawl back to the road,I just steer right(no vehicle coming from the opposite side atleast for a good km).I see a truck parked in the opposite side of the road(dont feel threatened as looked like an usual truck parked under a tree for rest), but this was not to be, the truck suddenly jumps on the road I am at my wits end truck standing less than 100 meters before me and a car on my left, the only thing I could do at that moment was downshift and stand on the brakes, the speed reduces considerably with the distance to impact just a few feet(could almost feel the heat from the trucks engine on my face), I was a little ahead of the zen enough space for me to get back on my lane and drive as if nothing has happened.
    If not for the abs I would have made some local news sensation...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Correct. I have experienced ABS only once, on a gravelly road, that too at 40 kmph. Never on tarmac.
    Come to think of it, I have never felt the ABS kick in even in my Beemer :D

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    1 person likes this.
  7. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Thank God nothing serious happened.
    Yes Punto's brakes are so confidence inspiring that I never felt so in a swift or Dzire. Every time I brake hard, I have the confidence in quick stopping but the fear of airbags deploying is always there in my mind.
  8. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

My experience with ABS has been weird.
    When i expect it to kick in,it does not,and when i don't it does.
    Just today i was driving through a stretch of tarmac which had some loose mud and gravel strewn all over,had to make a sudden turn with braking.
    Rear stepped out a Bit,and ABS kicked in.Also i have tried it on wet roads,accelerate till 50 on a empty stretch and slam the brakes,you will feel the pulsating action on the pedal.The effect on the pedal is more pronounced if you brake while negotiating a curve.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ABS + EBD = One should not feel that this feature is kicking - in. :D We are talking here about comfortness.if you come to know then there is some problem with your car or one is doubting about the drive train for the ride ;)

P.S > it can be proved only,rather cant be felt,when compared with non ABS cars .
    1 person likes this.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Isn't that how ABS is supposed to work?

Beg to disagree Ganges.

Contrary to popular belief, ABS will not and is not meant to reduce braking distance. As a matter of fact, in slippery conditions (read wet / loose grave), ABS actually increases braking distance. The function of ABS is to prevent skidding, especially when one brakes in a curve. ABS will allow you to safely steer away from the obstacle, without fishtailing. When the ABS kicks in, the driver can surely feel it, through the brake pedal.

Rajan
    4 people like this.