1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. kaps

kaps Superiore

Don't know if it is possible in your case, this happened with me. I was forced to drive my Uno through 1ft water filled lane. The water entered from below the engine guards, through the pedal assembly into the driver compartment and soon filled complete car. In your case, this could be one plausible explanation. Entry from anywhere else isn't possible.
  2. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Slight water in oil wont throw any error codes,but in turn may be extremely fatal to the engine.
    Since he mentioned that he started the car and there was water in the exhaust,there is a slight chance that some water might have got sucked in.
    No harm in checking the condition of oil :)
    1 person likes this.
  3. varin11

varin11 Superiore

I waded through 1-2 feet water in Bombay rain.Little water entered in the exhaust and I could see watery black smoke coming out once I revved. I immediately called TASS and the mechanic told me that the water will not enter engine and what ever water inside will be thrown out so not to worry.
    1 person likes this.
  4. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Which lever u taking about.Post Pic
  5. mahesh.bandel

mahesh.bandel Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    I would strongly oppose the thought of firing up the engine even it the water level has touched the exhaust pipe. While starting the engine, there are enough exhaust back ups that might suck the water through the exhaust too! You might end up in a hydrostatic locked up engine.

Water can seriously harm your car and it is advisable not to drive through water even if it reaches the lower portion of your bumper. If you think water could have entered the exhaust et all, first thing is to stop the engine. Get the oil checked by a technician & start only if everything found in place.

For members information, a hydrostatically locked engine claim is always denied by insurance companies as the cause of damage is sheer negligence on the part of the owner & we might end up shelling out loads of money. So better be cautious.
    5 people like this.
  6. SunnyBoi

SunnyBoi Amatore

Its common for all fiats. I have lost count of how many petrol pump attendants have told me that saar your car is running while filling up :evilsmile
    1 person likes this.
  7. That's is very good piece of information
  8. PankajJoshi

PankajJoshi Amatore

Linea 1.4
    I drove in a 6-9 inches of water for 20-30 meters. Hearing noise when turning the steering both in motion and at idle. The noise is more when turning left. Called FASS and was told that setting mounting ~Rs 3.5K needs to be changed.:confused:

Is water the reason or it could be the elastic pads as mentioned in another thread.
  9. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Grande Punto 1.2
    HI Varin11,

inside door handle.jpg

This what i am talking about, mine was rear left and i need it to fix it but the cost seems to be high for this part.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

No harm in checking and it should be checked, but it's real tough for water to find it's way into the engine from the exhaust.

Why I say this - during the Palio days, I took the Palio for a regular service and the mechanic there in order to clean the cat-con took the pressurised water hose and stuck into the silencer till it completely filled up. Then he started the engine and revved the hell out of it. No water entered the engine and every bit of it came out of the exhaust. This was with a pressurised water hose used to wash cars. Standing water during rains will have an even less impact.

When i saw the mechanic doing that , i was like - :eek:

The mechanic probably ruined the catcon but I gave the example just to show the probability of water getting into the engine from the exhaust is rather slim.