1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

Dehradun
    I hope it is DIY job because I don't wan't to take my car 70km one way to TASS (IS motors Roorkee) for hit & try. I wish FIAT open a service center here in Dehradun sooner than later
  2. Fiat-Yamaha

Fiat-Yamaha Superiore

Bangalore
    Re: MID Issue on Linea MJD

Check the battery terminals for loose connection and also battery voltage.
    Btw how old is the car?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Depends on how far you are willing to go with DIY. You will need to take out the bottom panel of the steering column, as well as the horn pad (also contains airbag) and check the connectors. I suspect a clock spring cable problem. If you are not an avid DIY guy, drive the 70 kms. I do not suspect a loose contact at the battery, going by your statement - "During this time car was running perfectly fine.."

It is a doable DIY, but not for the faint hearted.

Rajan
  4. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Have you tried a DIY for removing the airbag?
    any steps?
    and if MID is bad,do we need to replace the full console?
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Akshay, no I have not attempted removing the Air bag. I might have to do that in a couple of days. The component I have ordered has arrived in Bangalore and am waiting for delivery. According to online research, I might have to remove airbag for installation. If I do, I shall post a step by step.

From the symptoms, it appears to be a loose contact, as the MID completely blanks out and resumes automatically. I suspect the clock spring cable, as that is the only moving contact inside the steering assembly. I suspect that it is loosing contact when the steering is turned.

@Rachit - Can you confirm if the blank out happened when you were navigating a turn on when you were on a straight line?

Rajan
  6. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

Dehradun
    This black out happen yesterday morning when I started reversing my car from parking. So there was some steering movement while negotiating in parking lot. Actually car was in parking lot for last 4-5 days. I wish it is only a battery problem. Though I purchased car in June'12 but its a June'11 manufactured so battery could be ageing now but to the contrary car always starts in a single crank & it looks healthy as sometimes I keep AC on even in MAR position & things look normal.
    I can try DIY half heartedly fearing I may loose warranty if something goes wrong.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Battery terminals should be good as all other electrical works absolutely fine. It is only MID that went blank. Car is 1 yr old but its a June'11 model lying in FIAT yard for a year.
  7. Chokku

Chokku

Bangalore
    I suggest you check your battery, it require replacement.
  8. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

Dehradun
    Just now I started car again & everything was to the perfect. MID was bright & alive. I suspect could be due to moisture (convincing myself) in rainy season. will observe now onwards
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Shikhar,

3km is really low. If possible, get a bike - pocket happy and environment friendly ( sort of) . Like theblack said earlier, even I avoid taking the car if im not going to even cover the distance which wont warm the engine up fully. Small & frequent low distance drives are harder on the engine than long highway drives. Stretch the legs of the Jet during the weekend. :)

Cheers.
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Yep I just did that and Mr Sat chit anand was driving my car at 170-180 on the NICE road yday .