1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    Tell them to decorate ur car like Bride..put ribbon from front to rear and flowers,bouquet on ur GP's hood..:-D
  2. mayurshah

mayurshah Amatore

Banagalore
    All the best..enjoyy
  3. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    It is true that Diesel engines are generally more fuel efficient than Petrol engines under similar performance conditions. However that do not define how the turbos are warmed up / cooled down. There are oil cooled turbos and water cooled turbos. Depending on the design, some of them may not get sufficient lubrication once the engine is shut down and hence the need for idling.

For any engine to be at its efficient best, it needs to be driven at constant rpm for long duration. For my Punto I have found that the minimum time required for it to reach optimum performance level is around 20mins. So any drives lasting less than about 30 mins is going to take a toll on FE, and needless to say puts more stress on the engine as well.
  4. mayurshah

mayurshah Amatore

Banagalore
    All the best...finally the big day has come
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Not sure if you've slept last night but do spare some time to check all fluid levels.
    Take a TD before its delivered to you to check for alignment and right/left pulling.

I think that should be it. Just make sure you post LOADS AND LOADS of pictures.
    If there is any 1 thread from which all TFIans are expecting photos, its this one mate so do justice
    1 person likes this.
  6. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Re: Car Delivery time TO GET or TO CHECK

This day, the 4th of July, is as important to us TFIans as it is to the Americans. Happy 4th of July Zen.

Good luck and enjoy your day.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    2 people like this.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Right to add to this ,
    1.) never take my car out if i know the drive is not going to fully warm up the engine and let me drive at least 3 kms thereafter.
    2.) never turn on the AC until the the engine reaches optimum temp
    3.) Early morning idle for at least 1-2 mins, on a cold day 2 mins at least
    4.) Whenever the temp needle is at its lowest, always idle for 2 mins
    5.) At signals , if its more than 130 secs and my drive has not been a spirited one then i will idle for 30 secs and switch off the engine, or else I will keep the engine running.
    6.) never start off with a high note when the engine is cold
    7.) highway drives mean I idle for at least 3 mins (no questions asked)

These are some points i follow religiously, some might feel a few points here are overkills but that's what I do .
  8. from the inputs of royj and theblack, what I can conclude here is, with the kind of distances and drive pattern:
    1. It is not recommended to use my t-jet for daily commutation needs.
    2. If it is used, in-spite of making sure that the drive is constantly at low rps (never crossing 1200, in any gear). it is recommended that the idling patterns (60 seconds before and after the run) are followed rigorously.
    3. The idling after highway drives was not being followed, and shall be followed religiously from now on.

Am I getting it right?

Also, the one concern, that I am still concerned about is, is there any way to determine if I have caused any harm to my turbo system due to my drive of 11.5k odd kms in last 1.5(almost) years??
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    considering the substandard fuel quality and great roads in india I doubt if turbo should be your worry in the first place ;-)
    Dont worry nothing would have happened. Just enjoy the drive.
    If something happens it happens.
    Chill and enjoy the drive
    1 person likes this.
  10. ha ha ha... that's reassuring...
    thanks @theblack.
    Reminds me of one of the Murphy's Laws saying, what is to happen, shall happen, no matter what.