1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Why don't you update the thread title with same.
  2. Udayatreya

You have great vision, Thanks I just wanted to tell you that you cannot get Icecubes in Bolero engine. We may have FIATS, but that does not mean that we talk about other engines so cheaply.
    Thanks for your inference and certificate that I have worked atleast on one engine. I feel proud of it as you may know one engine is used in multiple applications like the FIAT MJD is used in punto, Manza, desire etc..

I Just to inform you that Engines temperatures are not measured via thermometers but Thermocouples.Not only that as a matter of fact you cannot measure the tmperatures of any hard or metallic surfaces using thermometer. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Just to update you:
    Thermocouples was not invented by yuann suvaang
    Though Thomas Johann Seebeck discovered a type of power generation in 1821 using two different types of metals with junctions at different temperatures (which was the basis of a temperature measurement called thermocoupling), Leopoldo Nobili is credited with the actual invention of thermocouple in 1829.
    Source:NDT Resource Center: Partial History of Thermal Testing
    The Douglas Self Site: Thermo Electric Generators

I am surprised to know if you really know the impacts of engine overheating. since I knew the impacts I had to sell my Palio.
    You are right the palio gauge does not cross halfwaymark even after long bumper to bumper ride inside the city
    I think you did not understand my concern my new punto is showing this halfway mark just in 45mins of driving that too in smooth traffic less roads.

I had this concern only after reading the manual. Kindly give me the right reference pages if I have missed anything in the manual.
    It will be helpful.

Thanks for your feedback.
    Hope I will not recieve replies to this message.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  3. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Udayatreya, Do believe us. Your car is in trouble only when the temp gauge is always under mid way or above it.

Here is what you have requested for temp_guage.jpg
    4 people like this.
  4. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

I already stated it clearly that Owner's manual has all relevant details bout your car & it is one of the rare car that warns you the high coolant temp. Your car is safe till it is filled with right level of coolant.

In 47 deg. heat & five people inside my Punto, I have covered 185 KM of Yamuna-Expressway between Delhi - Agra in 1 hr. 10 Mins. with an avg. speed of 165 km/hr (It includes two toll stoppages also). Just to check for no reason, With curiosity i opened the bonnet (my brand new ZEN used to throw back the coolant if kept at high speeds like 120-130 for sometime). I touched the coolant tank, like it's just travelled 5 kms at an avg. speed of 60 km/hr. The radiator & cooling fan does a wonderful job. That could be the extreme test given the conditions. Same was the story while returning.

I have no comments for your experience but here is a thought. Everyday, while reversing your car, check that there is no liquid on the floor. That is a quickest and easiest way. In a week or so, open the bonnet & ensure that coolant is up-to the mark. Follow it & do whatever you want to, you just can't overheat this car, ever!!
    1 person likes this.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    it is clearly mentioned in manual.if its really working or not why dont you try with out coolant :D and check the needle.

My experience :-Coolant was 25%,the needle was still at 50% with 500 Kms run. ;)
  6. Udaya: I feel the behaviour of your car is quite normal. Mine too stays at half-way. Who knows FIATs engines better than FIAT themselves? They know the optimum temperature for their engines to work. The ECU is programmed to start the radiator fans at this optimum temperature and keep it there, whatever you do with your car. There may be options to reprogramme this setting , but it will only cause more frequent turning on-off of the radiator fan. It may not even turn off. Disastrous. Dont do it. The only thing you can do is to trust FIAT.

As you said, i had issues with the radiator fan motor of my previous Palio(after 8 years) and had to replace it. It was noisy and would remain ON for sometime even after me getting out and locking the car, that people standing nearby had called me back to say that the engine is still ON. ;)
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Don't ever be careless like that. It would be the end of the engine and car too, that's what I believe. I know people do get gaskit replaced but that is just temporary provision/jugaad. Whenever engine will be aggressively driven, there will be performance issues and be ready for another gaskit change. An original packing of an engine is what it takes to be a rough tough, best performing phase of an engine.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Accepted Sir.
    it was winter season and in after returning from the trip i realised the coolant is 25%.
    Since then,my all the long drives goes through a inspection especially keeping :shock: on the coolant.i also remember i bought 1 ltr coolant from TASS when i had leakage issue with the coolant tank.
  9. PraveenP

PraveenP Timido

Update - On raising the issue with Fiat customer support and cc'ing Mangesh, finally managed to get a response from Fiat. They call it goodwill and will bear 50% of the cost and 30% of the cost will be borne by Vecto, the rest 20% supposed to be taken care by me.. Decided to take up the offer as I cant afford to leave the car for another week..

Thank you very much for the help and setting the expectations on how to deal with customer service at fiat...
  10. alphaD

Man that was not me who has commented about ice cubes and i never said any engines cheaply.

thanks man atleast you accepted you have worked atleast in one engine, who cares abt any ones feel about others knowledge.

i have not said anything initially and it was you said about thermocouples and temperature measurement. Atleast I am happy that you have understood that facts of thermocouples and temperature measurement of metallic surfaces. I dont need to correct you in this as it was u drag this topic and I may or may not know all these. you get it corrected with any other expert here.

I already said i didnt know that and nice that you have done some search and get us very useful information. i guess instead of searching all these you could have read the user manual again to find that the optimum working temperature of punto diesel engine will be when the needle is around middle.
    whoever read this, irrespective of engineer or not could have understood that the temperature guage is designed & Calibrated in away that needle will be at middle when optimum temp is achieved. a engine management guy could have understood much easier.

i am surprised that a guy who is into engine management work sold his car just because of over heating of engine without even trying to find the reasons behind it, then whats a point of working for engine management. cant stop remembering a nice lines from a tamil movie " thambi thannambikkaikkum thalaikanathukkum chinna vithiyasam thaan, ennala mudiyumna athu thannambikkai, ennala mattum than mudiyumna athu thalakkanam".

I think you did not understand the fact the optimum temperature of punto engine attained in 45 mins and radiator does its job to keep the engine in optimum temperature always.

hope you got ur reference from other members,

sorry mate you proved to be wrong in your assumptions. took some time to reply due to work.