1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. punto

After pestering for 3 days, calling customer care twice daily, and follow up call to the dealer, the parts have arrived today and am just back from the workshop after seeing parts with my own eyes. Pestering works !
    1 person likes this.
  2. tps11

tps11 Amatore

I asked the same query for my Linea, after 5-10 minutes of driving the temperature needle reaches halfway mark and remain there for the remaining part of the journey. Only when it climbs above this mark should we worry.
  3. Udayatreya

Thanks for your good joke. With My 13 years of Experience in Diesel Engines I should know if the Engine is really an Engine or a fridge.
    Engine management system is part of my daily work. So I wanted to know. Anyways I got good answers thanks for your Replies.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Ya Tushar,
    I was forced to sell my Palio only because of engine over heating. That is the reason I wanted to be a bit cautious this time.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Yes on long drives not in city limits like Bangalore.
    I was user of Palio for last 10 years almost

- - - Merged Post - - -

The coolant gauge is calibrated and this will tell the story in your engine compartment.Need not touch, there are thermocouples to indicate the temperaturs. Engineers have invented it to find the temperatures. Please check the calibration of the gauge if it is showing 25% in city limits. If the calibration of the gauge is ok then you have a good engine and coolant path in the engine.
  4. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

The only reason between Punto & other vehicle could be Temperature gauge is having different scale marking
  5. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

All depends on temperature scale caliberation/marking.

one query: is the optimum temperature (actual value) where the needle stops after engine warmup same across different manufacturers?
    1. in my i20 the needle stays a little above 90 deg cel as per the value on scale.
    2. my Wagon R had once an over heating issue. MASS guy told me the optimum temp should be 93.

Don't know if there is a generic/standard optimum operating temp for petrol/diesel engines which manufacturers abide by?
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  6. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

When connected to TORQUE app via OBD, it says "OPTIMUM OPERATING TEMPERATURE REACHED" when the needle touches the half way mark.

I also think that the Torque app shows Engine Temp in Deg C. Let us try to take that and compare with other cars showing needle at half way mark.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Temp. Gauge is calibrated different for different cars. It doesn't tell you in degrees and there are just convention like L, M and H. Since all engines are using same combustible fuel with more or less same compression ratio, same fuel can't burn at different temp. In different engines. Temp under normal operations would be same for all petrol/diesel engines.

Inside FIAT's manual, Normal position of the gauge is in middle. Your 10 yrs experience should have helped here, Punto is one of rarest of cars which has warning indicators for high coolant temp, a boon and amazing feature especially India. Here, People generally come to know in traditional ways like when they see smake and Headgasket is a goner, Especially for a BOLERO!!
    2 people like this.
  8. PKMohan

PKMohan Amatore

In my Fun2Drive app connected with OBD2, I always see the temperature varying between 80-90 deg C, but the needle stays perfectly at the centre, no matter how hard I drive or how hot the weather is. I guess it is calibrated well not to show these small variations. I can feel radiator fan running when the temperature reaches about 90degC.
    1 person likes this.
  9. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Even I am noticing the same in my palio recently (after the rains). Before it used to be within limits (30-40%).
    Now it crosses the halfway mark. I have to start the heater to bring it down. Once it is down it stays there. Any reason for this behavior.
    Also in cold start my RPM needle stays at 2K mark for 10mins, then it comes down.
  10. alphaD

If Engine management system is your daily work I am sure you might know the difference between a fridge and engine. Also you could have understood the reason just going through the manual. I guess you have not managed more than one engine all these years.

You dont need to sell ur palio coz of over heating issue. A good engine management engineer could have easily find out the reason behind the over heating.

Even in city limit inch by inch traffic well maintained palio engine temp wont cross halfway mark. It has been calibrated that way.

I am still wondering why should i check my car with thermocouples and check.the calibration when my car is running fine for 12 years without any over heating.
    Thanks for the information that the thermocouple invented by engineers I thought it was invented by yuann suvaang a famous chinees explorer.

An engineer wont ask this queation before refering his doubts privately with right papers.
    I just wanted to give my opinion dont intend to hurt anyones feeling