1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    I too noticed it once way back, but ignored as my wife was beside and thought she would have pressed it, we had an argument too. It was on my way to Goa in 2010
  2. Bought a used punto.3 weeks later came to know it was an accident vehicle. Wat Next ?

Guys, need your help and advise.

My close friend, Venkatesh from bangalore purchased a Punto 75 TW Emotion 2011Oct model from a used car dealer in bangalore a month back. He was a very happy man with the car all these days till the service history given by Vecto Motors revealed that this vehicle has had an accident. He is not much into the cars. It was my bad I didnt guide him properly to check the Service History (SH) before the purchase. Last week the car showed 'Check Glow Plug' warning. He called me to check if this has to be attended immediatly. I advised him if you have time take it to the SC or wait till the next service. Not a serious issue. I asked him if he got the car examined and checked the SH before the purchase for which he replied no. SO i told him get the issue checked and also get the car examined and also the SH. Yesterday at Vecto, the issue was fixed and the SA has told him that the SH has accident repair records. He was shocked to know this. For some reason the SA advised my friend to collect the SH from concord. From what all my friend remembers, the accident repair includes Bumper replacement, radiator / radiator grill (he is not sure) replaced, and also the ABS sensor for the front right missing in the car. Now he is really worried if he was cheated by the Used car dealer. The dealer has told him he can sell the car to someone else but the time and money is not sure. He called me to ask what to do next.

He likes the car very much, and he is more towards keeping the car but not sure if any other issues will creep in like insurance, warranty, long term reliability, strength of the car if the accident was major and resale (though he is planning to own the car for more than a lakh kms).

My piece of advise was to collect the service history, with that talk to the SA about what sort of accident it was. After that let us decide on it. If it was a hit on a stone or dog then the accident can be considered minor and not take it serious. For now the SA says the car is in good condition, but to check the accident impact they need to open the bumper. Though the parts replaced will have parts warrenty, not sure if all the parts hit were replaced. For example Intercooler was hit but still working , so the prev owner decided not to replace. If any issues comes up with the intercooler later, warranty cannot be claimed. So I was not sure if I should tell him to continue with the car.

Before I give him some solid answer, I want to check with the TFI'ans. Please let me know what all should be thought before taking a decision for such a situation.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Now that he has bought the car, I would say he should retain it, if nothing major happened. Ask him to leave the car with the FASS for full inspection and change any defective part immediately. That should give him peace of mind.
  4. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    My take, replacing bumper or undertaking painting and denting might not always mean an accident.
    i got my bumper repainted along with the boot door dent removed.

if abs etc is mising, then pls get it done shouldnt cost much i believe.

in summary, if car is running as expected its ok and auch niggles are common in any used car and no company assures 100 percent defect free vehicle, if you get one you are lucky.

Enjoy your ride.
    1 person likes this.
  5. ajuvignesh

ajuvignesh Amatore

Chennai, Kanyakumari, Trivandrum.
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    If possible try to contact the first owner of the car and ask him about the accident. As the car has already been sold out from him i don't think the first owner will hesitate to tell out the truth. Based on his words your friend can carry out the necessary repair.
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Srida, ask your friend to get a thorough check done and make out what kind of an impact the car had. Our Puntos are sturdy and do not suffer hits in the radiator and intercooler lines due to small impacts a-la Swifts. Also check if the wheel alignment is proper, should be done always after any impact.

I would say that if all damaged parts have been replaced and if the car is in working order, do not bother. Meanwhile, you can ask your friend the grab the collars of the 2nd hand car sales guy and demand a settlement for hiding the incident.

Do not lose sleep over this, as there are multiple incidents where our cars get damaged either within the factory test track, transit, or the dealer's yard, in which cases the car is anyway patched up without our knowledge. Just that you could have got more discount on the car's price.
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    First dont be panic. Go and talk to Service advisor and if possible exowner of the car.

Check if the accident was major or not.

I too changed my car's radiator and rear bumper.

Radiator: It was a culprit of coolent leakage issue. This is was reported to FASS from 1st service of the car.
    Rear Bumper: It was damaged (a crack on left bottom corner) so changed it.

So in my case it is not accident but if I check my car's history it will be reported as a accident repairs.

Ex: In my old Punto 1.2 Emotion I changed front uppper and lower grill. Please Note Emotion comes with silver grill and I changed it to black grills at service center and it was reported as a accident repairs. When I was selling my car, a person who was interested to buy this car checked the service history and he informed me about this accidental repair and I was like :eek: :evilsmile and then I explained him everything.
  8. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Bumper painting or replacement is not considered as accident and the radiator replacement would also be fine if there is no damage to the chassis or engine of the car and check if new radiator is installed after the damage if any.If u have bought the car i think u should chill and ask the dealer to give some money back(10-20% of the cost of the car to start the bargain) since u was not informed about the accident and dealers usually insure that the car is accidental free.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Hi Srida, Its common practice that used car dealers wont reveal such defects while selling the car, Ask your friend to check with the ex-owner of the car he can also get the car opened at ASS and asses the details and get it fixed for peace of mind.
  10. Thanks you guys. Will ask my friend to read through the thread. I have also asked him to book a slot at vecto to get the car assessed by FASS. He too not in such a bad mood but he is concerned if the accident will have any long term issues. He took the car to coimbatore and did some 140 + speeds and he says the car behaves like a Gun :) That is the reason is still not willing to let the car go away. After the assessment by the FASS will update you guys.