1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. shanmugam

shanmugam Amatore

Chennai
    Mine is 4 months old car , it hardly ran 3200k only. last time my battery got drained when it was idle for 28 days. it is due on her first free service by march end.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    @Shanmugam - You had the same issue in January. I remember clearly posting there advising against push starting the car. I personally feel let down, when members post their problems here, ignore the advise given, face the problem again and start a new thread about it. I mean, sit back and think about it. There are more threads on this forum discussing issues with FIAT, rather than taking about good things. My brother, who has never owned a FIAT, looked at the forum and was asking me, "So many people seem to have so many problems with this brand. I wonder how FIAT manages to sell even 1 car". We as die hard FIAT fans, need to do better than this to keep our favourite brand alive, don't you think? There were also some discussions about storing the car when not in use. In that thread, you posted that you got the battery recharged at a near by shop and all is well.

Now that the problem has recurred, I believe you never did a root cause analysis of what caused the battery to drain. There is obviously some current leakage, that is causing the battery to drain. This time around, please take some time out to investigate, identify and eliminate the cause.

Rajan
    5 people like this.
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Firstly, it is a pity that the RSA guy could not diagnose the issue properly. From the description itself, anyone could guess that one of the causes could be a weak battery.
    Secondly, When you are leaving the car idle for longer period, either disconnect the battery or arrange someone to start the at least once in two days. If the car is left idle/not started for longer period, the battery will drain.

Anyways, check the connections thorougly and confirm that there is no leakage.
    I dont think this is correct. I have the front right wheel cap damaged close to two years back, thanks to a scorpio that wanted to overtake me in a hurry. I havent replaced it yet.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Just check that your wheel got damaged during this? You can get to know by driving your car from the service center to home or office. If you found any wobbling then just do the wheel balancing for the damaged wheel.

if only wheel cap is damaged then nothing to worry brother... :)
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    @fiatlover - I do not believe it is the responsibility of RSA to diagnose anything. According to the manual, RSA will either try to rectify any minor issue that has caused your car to become immobile, or will arrange for towing services to the nearest ASS.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  6. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    Slightly Off Topic - I think it is assumed that everybody on the forum is technically inclined and a die-hard Fiat fan. Given that this is a Fiat specific forum it is only natural that non-technical and non-enthusiast folks will drop in seeking help. Least we can do is give them some directions instead of shooing them away. Of course, they would require a reminder/polite note that a complicated piece of machinery needs to be maintained properly (assuming they have access to a good SC) and that they really should read the owner's manual.

That said, @shanmugam either has a current leak or the previous recharge after a rather prolonged idle period has killed some cells in his battery. It happened to me waaayyyyy back when I had a 118NE (late 90s I think). Been careful about batteries ever since :)
  7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    From RSA manual...
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Not sure if this is in response to my post. I will address it anyway. The very same member, with the very same car, had the very same issue in January. Everyone jumped in to help, cried foul at the battery, advised against push starting. The problem at that time was resolved by charging the battery. But what was not done, is an investigation as to what caused the drain. Now the problem recurred, the same member tries to push start the car, ends up in a pit and is forced to call a towing service. :A

Exactly my point. The RSA, is expected to jump start in case of a drained battery. Fix loose contact if that is the issue. The RSA is neither trained nor qualified to even venture into starter motor diagnosis.

Rajan
  9. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    It was :p. So apparently he's not very good at remembering what he's been told or did not comprehend what he was told. Cut him some slack and chill :) No offence @shanmugam, but you need to take care of your car. It's your hard earned money after all. If you neglect it, bad things will happen to it.
    2 people like this.
  10. shanmugam

shanmugam Amatore

Chennai

Yes , you are correct i had the battery problem in jan. At that time remote locking was not working and all the warning lights were off. i am just learning automobile stuff being this is my first car. I learned that when battery gets drained nothing works.

But this time the car is ideal only for 5 days, i am able to see all the warning lights on once i inserted the key , remote locking system is working fine.
    so i thought it might be some other problem.

Even the RSA guy who is having good experience in automobile repair , he is not able to find out the root cause, then how can i ?

i accept that i made mistake by trying push start.