1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    What I used to do is just bring in the boot door down to a near lock position and a mild press locks the door. Likewise if you seen the bonnet, the closing technique is a bit different. You just hold the bonnet 2-3 inches (somewhere I read it as 6-7 CM) up and leave, it will lock. That time too you will receive a bit banging sound. My wife also complains that I need to use a bit more pressure to close the door as she gets irritated because of the bang. I explain her that it is for safety and now she enjoys the ride on the co-passenger side with big smile as she feels safe riding in Punto.

I am not telling that you are complaining but the reason why Fiat made the door bit heavy to close I explained.

As I got used to this, sometimes when I go with my brother in law I apply a bit pressure on locking the door in his Polo, and I see a heavy bang noise :eek:. Then I learnt that the other vehicles don't need that pressure.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  2. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Issues in 2012 Models - Consolidated

I seen a lot of our TFIans complains that they have issues with the 2012 models. I too had a few issues. A few issues corrected. A few got proper explanation why it happens.

So I thought of consolidating all the issues in one place and so the discussion will go centralized than thread for each issues.

1. Cabin Noise - A few of our fellow members reported it. I too had this issue after first service. After putting effort to rectify it now it is reduced a lot. The noise currently happening is very less and might be the issue from the beginning. As most of us didn't notice, it wasn't reported and corrected. All the cars actually have the air-cutting noise at a certain level inside the cabin. In Fiat cars this is clearly visible because of the design of the wing mirror. We have the wing mirror fitted on a stem and it have curves.

Grande-Punto-Sport-Sporty-ORVM.jpg

In the image if you seen the space between the door and the stem is a bit more. What happens is the wind cuts through the curves of the wing mirror cup and bangs on the window pane and so the noise is visible. This might be the issue from the older models too but most of us didn't notice as the noise is clear when the car is above 80 and we will he with music on in highway. In the city traffic we won't have this noise. So for surprise, Tata Nano and Honda City that follows the same design principle (copied from Fiat) also have the same issue but they reduced it by changing a bit aesthetics. Nano made the mirror cup edge flat and Honda City, the mirror cup edge is flat and too close to the door/window pane. So the air cuts through top/bottom not towards the door. The other manufacturers too used the mirrors cups in flat manner so even if the gap is there between the door/window pane and the wing mirror, the noise is reduced to a very low level. So now Fiat need to check the aesthetics of the wing mirror cup.
    2. Cracking/metal rubbing sound in the front wheel while braking - The explanation given by Mr.Chennabasappa about the disk break actually was right. When I had the issue of the sound while short braking. The short braking happens while we are in B2B traffic or city riding where we press the brake and release. Because of the Euro3/Bharat IV standards, the disk brake technology is changed. Now the pad and the disk are a single unit and while short braking the pad comes close and moves out where as the wheel is still spinning. So the sound is coming. Experts please advise in this part.
    3. Battery Issues - A few reported the draining of battery or the loose connection of the battery connecting points. May be the ASS/ASC people who do the PDI should have an eye whether the battery terminal points are tightened properly to avoid the user stranded in the middle of road on B2B traffic.

Please post if there are more common issues we face on the 2012 models. Even if the common issues from the older models also welcome. If the issue is faced by lots of members we can give it to Fiat so that they can develop solution.
  3. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Jan 2012 - Model MJD Emotion.

1. Whenever i close the front left and right doors with windows partially (50%) rolled down or fully down, i hear the glass vibrating accompanying the thud. the feel is not the same when closed with windows fully rolled up.

(Checked a I20 and POLO with same scenario, but no issue in both cars, glass never vibrated). Could it be because of excess gaps between the glass and metal. Can styrofoam be filled to fill the gaps in between ?

2. The Gear knob leather is torn in two places.

3. Very frequent cleaning of front alloys are needed to clean up the brake dust, looks like more compared to equivalent models.

4. Rear wheels literally jump (One on board) when encountering bumps at 15 km/h. Not a case in other cars, is this because of increased GC in 2012 models. i do not see this in older gen punto's.
  4. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    I faced the same issues after delivery, now after 11 months of usage it has improved slightly and closes more easily. On the contrary when i checked a 2009 punto's front doors, they closed more easily and gently in a single GO with a mild thud like the new polo you mentioned.

Looks like the lock mechanisms need to polish themselves to right clearences upon repeated usage, in order to operate in ideal fashion, i am sure VW is running the extra mile in designing a door lock that is butter smooth from day 1 by testing each door lock thoroughly, which genrally takes around a year of constant use in a punto to get that feel. (This is my personal opinion based on my experiecne).
  5. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Have you checked all these issues with the ASC?

The window vibration is because there is a gap in the door. I too used the way you said to close the door and never felt the vibration. Ask the ASC people to tight the door pane.

What are the items you put around the Gear Knob? If sharp edged items are used around, there is a chance otherwise it don't tear.

Because of the new type of disk break (that is adopted to suit the Euro3 or Bharat IV standards informed by the ASC people), the dust formation is huge. You can just ask the ASC guy to apply the solvent to clean it out.

The last one you said may be because of the ground clearance. I too faced such when I come over a big hump; on a near flat hump it didn't happen. I driven a 2010 model Linea that is given as a standby by the ASC and that too have the same issue. At one hump both the glove boxes opened too.
  6. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai

(A) Will check it out. Any idea how the door panes can be tightened?

(A) I do the cleaning myself, using water and waste cloth and pat dry till they turn new looking. How much will a brake pad last with this new setup.

But, is there a solution for this, can a suspension tuning be done not to jump like a toy car ?? )

2. Is there any way to lubricate the channels on which the windows roll up and dowm, off late i see some friction when the windows are rolled up and down.
  7. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Re: Issues in 2012 Models - Consolidated

We own both, a 2011 and a 2012 Punto and below are my observations.

The 2011 s suspension is just wow. It just glides over any surface. Most of my colleagues who are used to the 2012 I was driving before made their comments on the comfort and smoothness, rather than power. This says a lot.

The 2011s AC is good enough but not as good as the 2012. The former needs more corrections in temperature, and tells the world that you are arriving in a Fiat. The fan noise is THAT loud from the outside.

The 2012 is more rattle prone, not maybe due to inferior materials but due to the stiffer suspension setup.

The speakers in the 2012 are much much better than the previous paper cone types.

The turning radius is marginally better in the 2012. Other than these, both are similar. Infact, I am facing more niggles in the 2011.

Also, the seat belt buzzer doesn't continue to buzz once the belt is removed like in the 2012.

And I miss the little features like the delayed power window operation which was introduced in the 2012.

Regarding the GC, the 2012 is obviously better, but I drive on the same roads with the 2011 and none have scraped, just that we need to maintain appropriate speeds.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
  8. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Check out this for the tightening. Try not to over do the screwing as it may cause the clamp to break that. The dust on your alloy may go by cleaning this way but the dirt on disks won't. Get the solvent from the ASC and use it on the cleaning of the disks.

The rattles sometimes caused because of the aerodynamics. The way how the wind flow through and the obstacles on its way also increases the rattles. I never felt any rattles in the door or window even at speeds exceeding 120.

It is true. The bigger humps hit at a bit more speed will give a jumping experience. But I felt even at 20+ kmph speed on medium humps didn't give a leap experience.
  9. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    1. Can you confirm what type of speakers come as OEM ones in the 2012 GP and linea's?? paper cones or some other material.

2. How to make out what brand head unit comes in the vehicle, some say it's 'blaupunkt', some say it's Delphi? i see the warranty card has only the serial number and instructions in 4 languages and fiat and its subsidiaries logo's. mentioned but not the brand, pl confirm.
  10. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The HU is from Blaupunkt. This is for sure because when I wanted to install the USB, the SA given me the Blaupunkt dealer nearby. About the speaker, I think it is composite not a component.

And fellow TFIans, here we will discuss the issues not the features. This is because we can consolidate the issues and Fiat may come out solutions over those issues in case it cannot be resolved in ASC.