1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Doors hard to close in Punto

Dear Mods, I didn't find a thread with relevant issue, so posting a new one.

Problem: Effectiveness of the door lock is less in my Punto. I need to push or pull the door hard to get it locked. It doesn't create the famous thud sound but a hard bang.

History: This issue has been there in the FR-LHS door initially and got it fixed at service (I was told some lubrication was done). Now I could feel the same issue with FR-RHS and the boot door too.

Solution from Service: The solution is just an advice to close them with more pressure (as though I didn't know that :A)

Aren't the doors supposed to lock easily with a mild push/pull? AFAIK, Fiat and most other European cars give out a soft thud when closing the door. But, in my case, I need to push the door hard to close them properly which creates a bang effect instead of thud. At shopping malls, the security is never successful in closing the boot door in one single attempt. I'm afraid that this may create rattling issues at later point of time.

I'm not sure if the rattle at the FR-RHS door is a consequence of this heavy banging :( When I play music with LOUD feature ON, with full BASS effect and volume say at around 7 or 8 I hear rattle along with the music beats. No, it's not from the speakers but from the door pad somewhere.

HELP required: Dear TFIans please check these in your Puntos and let me know if you need to push the doors hard in order to get a complete door close. For the boot door, I pull it normally till roof level and then have to push hard to close with a heavy bang. With a normal push, it just hits the lock and stays there without locking. Also, the FR-RHS door doesn't close with a normal push.
  2. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Actually Fiat cars are having 3 stage closing of door. Not like Maruti Suzukis, it requires a bit more force to lock the door properly. So you will feel that you are banging the door to close it. :rolleyes:
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Suzuki :) They make the Hayabusa
  4. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Well. as far as this is concerned I believe you shoulnt worry much because the same I have noticed in other cars as well. Eg: my colleague's 20L Jetta :-D
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Perhaps a video of the force you are applying to close the door would make the experts to come out with a better judgement and analyze on their cars too ;)
    Just my 2 cents.
  6. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    I agree. But I don't see the issue with other doors. Just the FR-RHS and the boot door for now.

That's the other way of looking at quality ;) When an i10 or Tata Vista's boot closes with ease, why not a Punto? I don't believe all Punto's are suffering this issue. Just mine.

Good idea. I'll try to get one.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Unless you have to ram the door in with all your strength, it's fine and i don't see an issue.

The same alleged "issue" people have been facing when they sit in the Linea and complain that it's doors don't shut easily, that they are too heavy. I just laugh them off! :evilsmile

Also, if we fail to close the door properly in the first try, open them and then slam then shut. Do not try and press them in.

- - - Merged Post - - -

I've seen TATA Indigo's bootlid being bent with bare hands at TASS. You cannot compare apples with bitter gourd!
    2 people like this.
  8. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Hi Pdydeva, For the problem

Problem: Effectiveness of the door lock is less in my Punto. I need to push or pull the door hard to get it locked. It doesn't create the famous thud sound but a hard bang.

Its normal for the doors to lock with a heavy push as the door's by design are heavy you should have noticed it when opening as well closing, may be sometimes you feel its a bang effect where the doors are not locking in position..this is similar in the boot also as it requires a hard push hard to lock it properly..

if you still suspect the doors aren't closing the way it should better give a visit to TASS and get it checked..
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  9. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    As Gurjinder paaji has mentioned, do check the weight of i10 & Vista's boot and you will understand why Security is able to close it easily. I face this issue with my Punto's boot door day in and day out at my office gate security check. The security uses the same force used for feather light doors of Suzukis, Tatas etc to close Punto's door and end up by not closing it completely. Few securities who knows to differenciate between light and heavy doors close the same without any problem.

Note: This is the case with Beamers, Audis & Mercs as well. I see security persons failing to close the boot door at one go. So does it mean to say boots of all these cars have quality issues? :confused:

I think looking at beauties like Puntos & Lineas, security guards tend to be extra careful as they feel that they are handling a luxury car :evilsmile
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  10. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Exactly. When we compare 2 products, the superior one must perform better in terms of basic aspects. When such a lightly built vehicle (Vista vs Punto) has proper boot shutting operation why not a heavily built Punto? Question is not about the quality of construction. I'm just concerned about the lapse in quality check for a boot/door locking. My car also has a slow winding RR-LHS window glass and a paint defect too. As a matter of fact, both Vista and Punto pass through same quality check.

That's a pain to convince the service people for such issues. Always end up in getting convinced with the words "It's like that only".