1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

There is an even worse case.

Friend of mine, owns a Punto. Bought the car late August 2012. Few weeks later, planning on a long drive, he packed up, got into the car and cranked. Nothing. Completely dead. Called RSA, who promptly came, found that the negative terminal was covered with bluish deposit. Cleaned the same, fixed everything back and the car started.

Few weeks later, he had the same problem again. This time, he went to the SC, who again cleaned it, diagnosed that the clamp was loose, even after fully tightening the bolt. As usual, spare not available. They claim to have placed an order and 40 days later, the part has still not arrived. As a stop gap measure, they wisely decided to put a screw alongside the lead post, partly into the battery (spot indicated by black circle below)

Sorry. Did not take a picture of the actual battery. Reused the picture from above post by riturajmnnit to indicate.

Yesterday he was visiting me and when he wanted to leave, the car was dead. I detached the battery and cleaned everything with a solution of baking soda and later with water, only to find that the clamp on the negative terminal was broken due to the excessive tightening and the screw. I am glad the SC did not put a screw all the way into the battery.

So, we both went out and bought a replacement clamp, similar to the below picture

Fitted everything back, applied some grease to the terminals and all is well. I have asked him to keep monitoring the battery to see if the deposits start building up again. I could not see any cracks on the battery casing, so doubt if the deposits will recur.

I fail to understand, why SC's are so callous in their attitude. I mean, they know the clamp is loose, they know that will cause deposits, which will cause problems for the customer, they claim they are not able to source a spare even after 40 days, lost the protective cover of the positive terminal in the process and to top it all, they decide to put a screw into the battery :A :A

PS: My friend is also a member here. I will let him reveal his identity and the SC's name, if he wants to.
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    This is something that old generation mechanics used to do on old gen batteries/vehicles. And they end up damaging both the clamp and the terminal.

I think all these (minor) issues are result of poor PDI from dealers. May be they just paste the sticker "PDI OK" and that's all they do.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Mods Note - Issue is resolved, so closing this thread.
  4. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Is it wise to turn the A/C on, immediately after cold starting a engine be it MJD/FIRE OR TJET. I feel the engine's need to warm up sufficiently before turning on the a/c knob.

On the contrary i see my friends (Swift VDI and 90 Hp) cold starting the car with a/c in ON position and drive off immediately, no idling, no nothing. That way, they claim the radiator water temperature guage climbs to center position (engine working temperature) much quicker than when driven sedately for 1-1.5km below 1500 rpm with out a/c (as per recommended practice).

1. Can car a/c be turned on immediately during cold start.
    2. Can the Auto a/c control be turned ON and OFF as required, while driving when we feel the a/c not necessary, through the journey or should we leave it ON and only crank up the temperature to cut off the compressor working.? pl clarify.

- AC, audio player and lights on - Marginal increase felt in MJD, (very minute) - This answer is from my personal experience
    - only audio player on - No difference felt
    - only lights on - Marginal difference, felt like some additional decibels from engine bay.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

It's a personal preference, really. I never even drive my Vespa/Bullet without idling, leave aside the Linea. ::D

Yes it can be turned on, but the question is should you? I do not. In my case : I only turn the AC on after idling a couple of minutes and when the car is in motion.

No. Just keep it to Auto and let the car do all the thinking. If you feel the cabin is getting cooled more than you need, just increase the temperature a bit. The compressor will cut out and back in when needed. No driver involvement needed, at all. You should just sit back and enjoy the fabulous drive. :)

6. shanmugam

shanmugam Amatore

My punto not starting help...

Today i tired to take my punto after 21 days since i was out of station but it is not starting ...

Issues are :

1) Remote locking is not working so get in to the vehicle manually opened the lock
    2) when i inserted the key and moved to starting position , there is no lamp (normally in this position all lamps will light the go off)
    3) Then tried to start the engine but it is not starting ...

Experts please help me what might be reason for this....
  7. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

I am no expert, but i am just recalling the comments from expert in other similar threads.

1. Battery Drain out
    2. Salt kinda deposit on the battery connector (node connectors)
    3. Fuse?
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Battery is dead. Call RSA and jump start.

9. riturajmnnit

riturajmnnit Amatore

Bengaluru, India
    battery :( I had the same issue, but not after 21 days but while driving (at a pitstop), fiddled around battery and it worked, probably your battery charge gone kaput :) Call RSA or showroom guys !!
  10. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Wow just 21 days idling, battery gone? Thats not good :shocked
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013