1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    Probably a dumb question, but are you sure the problem is the ignition barrel and not the key itself? I mean can you use the same key to open doors and boot (manually using the old insert+twist method)? If it is the key that is problematic, then blanks can be bought and cut. If the barrel and door locks need to change, then I guess it is going to cost quite a bit.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

[SUB][/SUB]
    It is the ignition slot which is messed up,confirmed.
    Now the problem is that car is grounded:(
    And got to know after searching around on the forum,that it takes a month or even more to source key\locks from italy:(
    If true,its going to be a big headache.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If your service guys confirmed the item will arrive from Italy, good to keep Fiat also in loop. Check contact section and inform them the situation.
    1 person likes this.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    What is the dealer saying. Is it happening in warranty?
  5. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

They have commited a delivery period of 10-15 days,and i have had good experience with them till date.
    In case need be i for sure will add Fiat officials in the loop.
    @Gurjinder,car is not under EW,hence i will be paying for it.
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Why not try getting the lock repaired outside.
    How much have ASS quoted for complete set.
  7. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    If it is anyway out of warranty and is apparently a mechanical problem, it would not hurt to have somebody disassemble the barrel.
  8. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

I dont think anyone can take apart that ignition key slot,and fix it back after repairing.
    Since immobilizer is involved i dont want to take any chances.
    I got a quote of around 8K.
    Lets see whats the final amount.
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Akshay
    The immobilizer is different system. Its integrated in ECU the sensor is placed near ignition barrel to talk with transponder in key.
    What ASS would do is install new locks and would copy the transponder data of your new key into ECU Immobilizer
  10. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

I am aware of that,btw years ago we faced a similar issue with our premier padmini Deluxe BU,it had an imported ignition key slot from italy installed,and it gave up once,and no one was able to fix it,btw i am not too sure if ignition switch can be taken apart?,and most of the mechs outside the aftersales hardly know a thing about fiats,apart from engine,that too since it is shared by MSIL,btw can you give me any leads?