1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. @Varin, I use System D once in 10 tank fills,usually once I know i filled a adulterated Diesel from some highway petrol pump and car shows sluggishness.I have covered 40 K kms.I have used it it all my previous cars.

My friend used it on Swift VDI which as covered 1.6 lakh kms so far with out any issues.
    -Sat
    1 person likes this.
  2. puntojith

puntojith

Hyderabad
    Whats the smell?

Hi Guys,
    I have been getting an obnoxious smell the moment I start my punto. The smell doesn't stay for more than a few seconds but is kind of very pungent. I have not been able to make out whether its from the inside of the car or outside. Most likely its from the initial smoke from the exhaust. The smell resembles that of some volatile compound like benzene or xylene...! Does anyone know what this is? Is it normal in a diesel car? My mistake I forgot to ask this to the SA during my first service. Please help.

Regards
    Puntojith
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If the smell is from outside, means exhaust, then its normal. To confirm, close all windows and then see if it still comes. If not, then its ok.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Open the engine compartment with car idling and check whether you get the smell from there.
    If the windows are open and the smell can also enter the car while reversing.
    Do you feel the change in the smell compared to past. Then there may be some leaks.
    Do a inspection of the under body for any visible leak. You may find dark spots(soot) if there is a leak.
    If there is not a leak and a intense smell you can ask TASS people to check the tuning of engine is perfect as the smell is due to unused fuel due to poor air-fuel mixture.

Verify that the smell is not entering in to cabin.
  5. vijays777

vijays777 Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Are you having a closed garage ?? or starting the car under open place ? in both with windows down ?
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Few questions about the T-Jet

Guys,

A quick couple of questions:

1. When I switch the headlights on, the lighting of the console gets dim. Is this normal or is this an indication of imminent battery problem?
    2. How is the fuel gauge graded in the Linea? I mean, given that the tank capacity is 45 L, would the tank take ~ 23 L when it is at half way mark? I ask this question, because my Palio used to take about 30 L at half way mark, though the tank capacity was 47 L. Simply put, do the markings on the fuel gauge convert to correct fractions of remaining fuel?

Thanks,

Rajan
  7. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The console lighting getting dim is normal.. is there in my car as well,
    Regarding fuel guage, the needle is xactly at 1/4th mark when i fill it for 500 bucks, ie, 11L. and half tank would be for 1000Rs, ie, 22L and full tank must be 44L !!
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    It's normal and is due to the catalytic converter. Nothing to worry.

I wracked my brain over this smell quite a lot when the Linea was brand new. Only later did i found out the true reason.

Cheers.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    It troubled me for long time until my neighbour brought a honda city which gives much stronger smell. :D
    2 people like this.
  10. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Smell of exhaust is differant. Gasoline,diesel engine emits smell of differantly.

I have very much experience about exhaust smell.
    I can identify adulterated fuel & performance related problems by exhaust smell.
    Even smell of tail pipe emission can give idea about genuine quality fuel also.