1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. srivatsahg

srivatsahg Timido

Bangalore
    Brake Pads changing intervals for GP90

My service engineer called me just now advising me for replacement of front brake pads.:eek:

My GP90 was due for 2nd Service and has done just 15K kms

Is this normal for such an early replacement

Please Advise

VATSA
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Brake pads so early,that means you are harsh and rash driver :D
    it depends upon your driving style.
    i have done 36000 Kms in 1 Year and 5 months still using the same. :)
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Punto's/Linea's brake pads goes away sooner compared to others.
    Interval will depend on so many things, but generally its life is ~20-25K km.
  4. gautham

gautham Novizio

Coimbatore
    I replaced the brake pads in my Linea MJD during my 3rd free service @ 26K km after 26 mths of usage.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  5. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    The SA is just reading out what's in the manual - It's recommended to check the pads visually and replace if necessary. I would recommend you to personally check if before committing to change the brake pads. I changed mine after 40K and it still have 3000 Km's life left in it.
  6. srivatsahg

srivatsahg Timido

Bangalore
    Thanks for the info Guys !!

No, i'm not a rash driver..Probably since i use it for my daily commute in Bangalore Traffic.
    I end up braking quite a lot. :)

Any idea how much you had to pay approx ?
  7. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have changed mine at 24,500 Kms ... It is safe to change between 25-30 k Kms.... if we drive very harsh conditions...
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  8. abhiuday

abhiuday Amatore

New Delhi
    my car had done only 1600 kms, 2 months old. Since last week i could squeeking voice on applying brakes. Went to auto links workshop in delhi today.
    The advisor told me that the brake pads needs to be changed. And that it is not covered under warranty.
    Now I am left clueless as to how the brake pads can get damaged so easily. Attached pic of the car odo.
    any idea how to persuade the TASS guys to do a free replacement as the car is barely old.
    2012-08-29 15.43.50.jpg
  9. abhiuday

abhiuday Amatore

New Delhi
    Brake pads and wiper blade needs to be replaced on new punto !!

Hi,

Today was my first visit to a TASS. my car had done only 1600 kms, and is 2 months old.

Since last week i could hear squeeking voice on coming from the wipers. And another sound coming on applying brakes, it sounds similar to brushng of two metals together. It has been raining heavily in Delhi, so I thought I should get this checked before its too late.

Today I went to to auto links workshop in delhi and got feel first hand, the experience that many fiat owners expereince from TASS. I have read on many forums - the wonderful customer service of TASS (pun intended).

Got an advisor to check and his findings are:i
    1. Wiper blades needs to be changed
    2. Discs pads need cleaning or replacement as the case may be
    3. Both not covered under warranty.
    4. The blades will be charged @ 1400 bucks. On insisting with the advisor he has told me to lodge a complaint with FIAT, so that they can replace it free of cost. On their own they would not be doing so.
    I am not totally confused about the quality of the products that have been put into Punto. Has anybody experienced this before. pls share how to get TASS to change the wiper and brake pads FOC. This is a new car and in such a short duration no one would expect things like brake pads needing replacement.
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    What? 1600kms and brake pad change? Now that's impossible even if FIAT pads are known to die soon..
    Squeeking noise is not always because of brake pad going bad. In the modern era these noises are often attributed to the compound being used in the pads as well..
    Remove the tyre and visually inspect the brake pads or get it done from a 3rd party

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

I've so far changed pads twice and both at roughly 15K intervals..
    For my 2nd change i went in for Magnetti marelli pads and so far they have been awesome (no brake noise) and cheaper than OEM pads. Looks like it's going to last long as well