1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Am yet to get more details on reset time / kms.
    The only details available with are as informed by @PraveenRajPatten

TRIP.JPG

Am yet to check on:
    1. If A & B Trip meters have different re-set schedules
    2. What is meant by "Type of Display".... is it the three types as discussed in manual (pic attached below) or something else...

Displays.JPG
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Bhilai
    Linea 1.3

Hope the above clarification clears the ambiguity regarding PUC.

The link of Delhi Goverment site is as follows : Transport
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    As far as possible avoid using pressure wash for the engine bay. Do not spray directly on the ECU or any sensors.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    +1.

Although some washing guys will suggest that they have compressed air to blow away the water from sensor,connector etc but with the battery being connected, the circuit is complete and water can cause issues BEFORE you blow it with air. So either you disconnect the battery and then wash it ( just theory, i've never done it), or just not wash it at all. :)

Some cars come with waterproof electrics ( LandCruisers?) and some with watercooled ECU's ( BMW M5) but since ours is neither of them, why take a chance.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  5. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ Italia-Linea and Gurjinder, Thanks for the suggestion! Shall keep it in mind. In fact I asked the guy to stop cleaning the engine bay. I was really relectant to open the bonnet itself. But then, the owner of the body wash shop (who is a experienced mechanic) told not to worry. I saw them cleaning another car and the same procedure was followed. But then I was really in two minds!
  6. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Recently during washing my car, the guy did the same and when I asked about it he said, this is a diesel right, so no issues. For Petrol vehicles you need to be careful about water getting into the distributor and other electrical components, but diesels do not have such issues.
  7. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Spot on! I was also given the same explanation!
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The older mechanical injection diesels CAN be submerged in water, with air intake above water and they will still run. No issues at all.

But our modern diesels with a myriad of sensors, electrical connectors will probably not. Unless the manufacturer has explicitly designed the system in such a manner.

So it's just a good practice not to pressure wash the engine. TASS guys do it everytime and no issues so there you go, you have a valid point for washing engine bay.

In the end it's a personal preference. I still remember when a Palio D refused to shut off, even after turning the ignition off and removing the key, as water had gotten into the electrics during washing. It shut off when the water dried. Later i got to know the way to shut off the Palio in such cases.

Cheers.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Its not a big harm but given a choice i would stay away from it, any day.. I mean in a place like 3M car care centers where they take such good care of our cars if there is a possibility of something going wrong (like it happened to me) .. I'm very very sure its only a matter of time before those TASS folks come up with a problem after washing...
    After a wash the MID started to show that "left side indicator" had a problem.. I switched the engine off and then waitied for 10mins then turned it back on to see that the error was gone and has never appeared again.. SO stay away from engine washes...

Its very interesting to know that tripsheets have been reset automatically.. The longest I've done is a 1600kms (back and forth) drive and nothing happened to the trip data.
    But then after reading i guess i need to hit 3999 for auto reset...
  10. Pardon my ignorance... but.. do the distributors not age back to the era of carburetors?
    I thought with the introduction of MPFI the activities were shifted to ECU from earlier mechanical devices...
    I remember seeing those distributor caps with ever 'replacement needing' points from lucas which have vanished from modern engines...
    The firing sequence is controlled by 16 bit microprocessors...
    or am i missing something somewhere...
    ECU not getting wet (with a fear of short circuit) is acceptable... but distributor???