1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    Re: Urgent Help Required on Punto Warranty

Thats good news :mrgreen: . Can you post the pics of the damaged suspension component if possible
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12

Sure soccarfan I can upload pics of damaged suspension component. Even I was thinking to post some pics.
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune

ok to end my confusion too kedar can you please tell us at what speeds you hit the pot hole, so that i can avoid hitting potholes at that speeds? :traffic
  4. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12

20-25 kmph however that pathhole was filled with water so did realised how deep it was. Next morning when I was going from there on my bike I saw that pathhole. It was too deep. I was thinking how come front bumper didnt get any damage.
  5. Italia-Linea

Pune

come on i will never buy its a fault , driving over a pot hole 20-25 kmph. and breaking the arm.
    sorry guys, not at all done.

i again say this is one of case- part failure which has to be replaced in warranty.

again i repeat and so will other car users repeat - i have hit pot holes of various sizes even at speeds of 80-100 in various vehicles including delicate alto.

havent you guys ever hit deep potholes at speeds? there are crores of pot holes on our highways too where u hit at high speed, the whole car jerks, in some cases the rims bend but arms? :A

the suspension has vertical movement when it goes in pothole and the hydraulics, seals inside the shocks, springs take the beating not the arms. the arm just hinges.

i would like to see the pics, closeups. we can make out metallurgical faults if any.
  6. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida

If i am guessing correctly Italia-Linea, what u r saying is the pot hole did not have any role to play in this. So that means, even if kedar had not hit that pot hole, after few kms of drive and hard breaking, would it have broken anyways becuase hitting the pothole din cause any damage ?? :?:
  7. Italia-Linea

Pune

no you are guessing absolutely wrong. what i am saying is hitting a pot hole at mere 20-25 speeds should not break any component of the suspension. if it has done its a component failure not sustaining to its purpose.

if there is defect in the component it does not suffice the duty its intended to do.

for example say the knuckle joint in our car or say any casting component. if there is a manufacturing defect say a blowhole in the cross section, even a small hit will break it called as fatigue failure. but say the same component in other car has no defect it will last for ever, it will take all the blows during regular operations as the factor of safety is high.
  8. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida

You said it urself, During Regular Operations it will take all blows , and i dont think hitting a pot hole accidently (by not noticing its depth and how wide it was ) would be termed as "regular operations" .

The key word we are looking for here is "accidently hit the pot hole" and Fiat or any other car manufacturer in the world would cover any accidental damage under warranty.
  9. Italia-Linea

Pune

obviously you hit the pothole accidentally. you wont force your car to go in the pot hole. but while engineering the components this is very well considered, and its a car running on indian roads.
    driving a car is regular operation and hitting a pot hole is also a regular phenomenon on indian roads.

in the first case the damage to the said component shouldnt have occured by hitting the pot hole even though accidentally.

will fiat give us in writing that while driving a car if you accidentally hit the pot hole the suspensions/any other parts will break - will you accept this?
    if the parts designed to withstand such impacts give up its very difficult to drive our cars on indian roads.

as i said earlier this may be one in a case. if we take our punto/linea in same pot hole at speeds of 20-25 they same part may not give up.
  10. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4

almost all of the car components have a life. They need replacement. They will serve you longer if you take good care of them. Suspensions are designed to take some beatings but they are not damage- proof. A deep pot hole means disaster- no doubt. There are cars designed to handle that, they are called suv/ offroaders. Linea or alto cannot handle all the pot holes in India. Linea has best in class suspension but its not an yeti.
    So lets face it, like the manual says there are parts that are not covered for this specific reason and we buy our cars accepting the terms and limitations.. There are certain precautions required while driving on the great Indian roads .. Following those will only increase the life of our car.