1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Did you actually mean "Is it safe to drive a car..." not only punto any car it is always less safer to drive in rainy days but be careful and avoid driving through water logged areas. All manufacturer design their cars so that one can drive in rainy season but we should not test our cars in extreme conditions.
    But driving in monsoon is very exciting and you must go driving and enjoy !!
    Remember sometime you may have to go out for some urgent reason in heavy rain, so be experienced in rainy seasoned driving.
    Parts may get damaged anytime due to many reason but we should put our cars to its actual use that is take us to places safely in any weather conditions.

I love rainy season driving in ghats, so challenging and exiting !!
    1 person likes this.
  2. anjith100in

anjith100in Timido

trivandrum
    Nothing to worry about unless if the underbelly and exhaust is submerged. the first thing is water might sweep back into the cabin from the underbelly, which u will have a hard time to clean. I 'BELIEVE" to damage the engine the water should be atleast 40 cm deep.
    Some tips to drive thru flood.
    1. make sure the depth of the water by walking through it first as water hides dips in the road.
    2. switch off your AC and roll down your window(mainly if its electric window)
    3. Slot into a lower gear and keep the engine revving a bit high by using the clutch generously. And slowly and steadily get out of the water.. don't let the car stall in the water.

There are a lot of maintenance for the car during monsoon.. Do those and enjoy the rain!..
    2 people like this.
  3. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    It is safe to drive any car in the monsoons, manufacturer's design cars for all sorts of weather & road conditions and vehicle's today are very safe in all sorts of difficult conditions.

There are some precautions to take while driving through water logged roads, idea is to keep revs high to avoid water seeping back through the exhaust as this can cause some engine related problems. The most important bit is to make sure you pump the brakes dry after driving out of water logged area's.

Unless your car is submerged till the bonnet under water there shouldn't be any reason to worry.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    But keeping revs high will also increase the spead and more water scatter which is not good for brake and engine. Usually I used to inslow down to minimise splashing water.
    But one ofcourse one can slow down and then rev to get both advantage.
  5. vijays777

vijays777 Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Keep the slot in first gear have half clutch with rpm above 2000 - 2500 so water doesnt go inside also the speed dont cross more , dont ever cross 15 km speed inside water . After coming out of water keep pressing the break slightly with car moving front for a while so water on your breakes will get lesser which will have good braking.
    2 people like this.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    its safe to drive in day time only for any car.

Your luck matters,better to stop and see for the other cars passing over the potholes or fully clogged water and then decide to move forward.
    The situation for over revving comes into picture when you are fully stucked due to flooding and i;m doubted to get your car out of such situations.
    i saw few videos on you tube where the SUV's(4x4) are driven, where half of the car is in the water and still comes out of it,however you can observe the exhaust tip are located at the top and not bottom.

So better stay away from such situations ,where you are 100 % sure that you car exhaust will be in water more than 2 minutes or 5 minutes....
  7. I spoke to SA Gopal at Mysore road TASS,whole light assembly needs to be replaced and part is no in stock also costs Rs 1000!!
  8. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Is it under warranty?
  9. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    thankz guys. i have been driving a Premier Padmini all these years. it used to easily stall while driving through water logged area. as soon as water reached the distributor the car wud stop. even splashing was very risky. is it same in case of Punto or any other car. im very careful not to splash water at high speeds. is it required slow down or i can drive through like a SUV? is splashing dangerous for our Puntos?
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    There are no Contact Breaker points in the Punto to get wet. Infact there is no ignition of any sort ; it's a diesel. :)

The old diesel engines you could submerge in water ( with the air intake above) and they would run without any issues. Modern diesels carry as much electronics as your home PC , but they are quite sealed and driving in rain is no issue at all. Just don't become a rally driver and start going through puddles of water at 100kmph. A local Punto recently did that and ended up straight at TASS with a 60k bill estimate. It's another matter that the guy got it set right at an outside workshop for ~1000Rs.

In the rains, drive safe. This applies to every car out there. Nothing particular to the Punto.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.