1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Re: Urgent Help Required on Punto Warranty

I think first SA needs to clarify why it happened, if its because of path-hole, yes you should pay or claim insurance. If it happened because of hard braking it should be covered under warranty.
  2. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3

The way I look at this is as follows:

1. The impact with the pot hole happened first
    2. Braking happened after the impact

For all we know : the damage was already done when the impact happened. Now it is impossible to tell, if the braking further worsened the problem. Had the car been checked immediately after the impact the answer would have been clear.

Also it is unclear at what speed did the the car hit the pothole. Kedar can you clarify ?

In my opinion : the whole braking issue is completely irrelevant to the discussion. We have had SO MANY discussions on this forum and earlier on google groups about hard braking. All those cars should have had broken suspensions by now !!
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune

we cannot say this can happen with all cars. its one in a case component failure. this can happen with any component due to casting defects,forging defects, fabrication defects etc.
    my indicas ball joint suddenly broke and the wheel came out at speed of 30kmph while taking a turn. same case, the SA denied warranty and asked to claim insurance. i took the dealer and tata person left and right. when we observed the casting it was a clear fatigue failure and also there were 2-3 blowholes in it.
    got the same replaced in warranty and also asked them to repair the bottom and repaint as the failure on part caused damage to the underbody.
    in case of tata you have to fight for the right.
  4. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4

There are two points to consider here:
    1. Suspension is a wear and tear item and as mentioned in service book not covered under warranty. However,fiat offers warranty on certain suspension parts till 30000km which others don't.
    2. The user has mentioned that the car had hit an unfortunate pot hole .

Having said the above two, the whole point is you realise first in your mind what you want to achieve here:
    A. Get the car repaired,pay and move on( which is most important)
    B. Make a case with Earnest effort and try to claim warranty.

recently, I got my clutch replaced in warranty. My approach was practical I realised that clutch is a wear and tear item and blame for damage is on the driving style of the user. Having that at the back of my mind i was prepared for the spending but also made a case of the clutch slave cylinder failure and the agony caused to me.
    The point is- both the options are there for you but the bottom line is to get your beautiful possession back to its glory and enjoy every minute with her....
    And so we move on...
  5. amogh

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3

@all :

answer a simple question for me

how did fast braking result into a broken suspension ? (without the car hitting a pot hole) OR

how did fast braking physically damage a suspension ? (without the car hitting a pot hole)

Had the car not hit a pot hole and the suspension would have broken : I agree : warranty can be claimed

Unless a RCA (Root Cause Analysis) is done : there is no way to determine if this is a component failure. Let's base our discussions on facts please.

I just spoke to Kedar. There was big "THUD" noise when his car hit the pot hole and the impact was pretty strong. This clearly indicates failure due to impact.

I just think we are going over board with this.
  6. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4

@amogh-
    In this thread everyone including kedar have accepted that its due to hitting a pot hole . Just one person has a different view which is fine as that's what is required for opinions in the forum.
    No ones gone overboard but just discussing on options available to kedar which should eventually help him to take a decision. ::O
  7. amogh

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3

actually : after speaking to kedar i realised the story is different. the braking thing is mentioned just for information. kedar never intended THAT to be the point of discussion :lol

that's why i said we have gone overboard talking more about braking
  8. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12

Apologize for the confusion :confused The main culprit is that Path hole filled with water. I didn’t get chance to see how deep is that. :A

I think braking at high speed is not a problem.

Amogh again thanks for your advice.
  9. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4

Trust amogh for good advice - always ;)
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12

I just got a call from SA of Pandit Auto Akurdi. He gave approximate quotation of Rs. 3500-4000. The part get available within 2 days of order :), however all the bookings for servicing are full till 20th Dec. I booked appointment on 21st Dec 2010. Will upload the exact bill amt once I am done with the repairing of my car.