1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Paul a DIY workaround is use some white toothpaste for rubbing the windshield. Clean your windshield with plain water, apply some toothpaste on a piece of baniyan cloth & rub it. After few rubs you can feel that the rubbing movements is getting smoother which shows that the toothpaste is removing contaminants . Preferably start doing it from the passenger side so that you can really see & feel how well this technique works. This is a proven technique & you need not worry. The theory is quiet symbol. Tooth paste has this micro particles which act as an abrasive compound which rubbed against the windshield will remove the contaminants. Yes this is the same happening with your teeth too :D.
    2 people like this.
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Take the market watch/editorial page of a newspaper which is free from colours and sprinkle little water on windshield and rub it with it. You will see the wiping more effectively.
  3. Pauleralil

Pauleralil Regolare

Kochi/Bangalore
    @Cinju & sungoa: Thanks for the tip.. I will try both the approaches.. I used to do the newspaper thing while going for long drives.. Let me see if it makes some difference..Another possible cause i could recollect is that my furnitures were polished a few months back using a compressor.. I doubt if the fine particles of melamine/polish has got stuck on the glass.. In this case should i rub the glass using thinners/turpentine ( dont know if thats a crazy idea:eek: and if it will damage the windshield. have seen painters using this for different purpose though :))
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thinner is used to clean the glass after removing the sunfilm. No problem. But take care of paint surface and rubber/plastics
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  5. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Even after using thinner, clean it out properly with some soap solution & wiper dry.
  6. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Once there was a thin coating of wax formed on my windshield probably due to a car shampoo wash which was not cleaned propely and then left in sunlight.
    This was causing problem for my wiper not wiping properly.The wax layer was quite adamant and I had to remove the same with hot water and firmly rubbing with news paper.
    Like to add that, I have succesfully removed hard/saline water stain from windshield/car body by little use of "Easy off Bang (for hard water stain)" but one need to be very careful while applying and in small qnty at a time and clean/rub throughly. yes there will be little fading of car paint but there is no other way to remove hard water stain without repainting.
  7. I read some where in this forum that, tobacco can be used to remove oily layer from windscreen. I haven't tried it though.
  8. mhitesh

mhitesh Amatore

Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.4
    If someone hits the glass then there is a major mark / dent in that particular area, but the whole glass had cracks with no dents on the glass anywhere. I don't understand how this happened. Maybe it could be a robbery attempt as well.

But I seriously doubt the people in my society over this including their kids.

Anyways I got the windshield changed from Windshield Experts, Chembur.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    How much was the coast? Did the shop fellows say anything about the possible reason after seeing the crack?

One possible reason could be the imperfection in the making or some small crack that has developed during the process of joining the two pieces of glass together.
    Other reason could be the rain. There could have been small hit by some outside particle and moisture could have absorbed inside which due to expansion and contraction due to temperature variation can produce cracks.
  10. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Two pieces of glass together? The rear glass is not laminated. It's just tempered glass. It is a single layered glass. Only the front windshield is laminated.

@Thread starter: Rear glasse or any of the side window glasses are just tempered glass, they just shatter away under impact, and you can never find the area of impact, since it is not laminated.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.