1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    I dont think what you mention is knocking. Knocking is due to detonation in the combustion chamber and MJDs dont knock whatsoever. If you leave the accelerator and there is sudden drop in rpm or some jerk the very first thing you should do is clean the air filter. Better replace if too dirty.
    Secondly check each and every turbo hose and mainly the air intake hose that is hooked to the bumper from the engine cover/ airbox cover.
    Since your is a 90 BHP punto with VGT make sure the Vacuum Solenoid plunger that activates the Turbo Vanes is moving up and down.

In your case in am suspecting some turbo hose leakage due to the symptoms you are facing.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Those are some good pointers, will bring them all up on Friday at TASS. Thanks a ton.
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

@ItaliaLinea, I agree but there is one more abnormal behaviour he is talking about. When he leaves clutch & race pedal in 2nd gear, the engine is slowing dying & stalling. That doesn't happen too in MJD's. I am pretty sure what i have noticed, MJD's don't stall at all if you leave them@some minimum speed in any gear. Even 5th, forget about 2nd.

That's why i am apprehensive about this. Since car sails@20km/hr in 2nd@1000-1100 RPM, i am doubtful that Turbo leakage could be the cause. That would affect the pick up but won't stall the car at all.
    I am not sure what type of sound Relativity is referring to as "knocking". It could very well be the Tapet sound when engine @cold start up. But that "stalling" is somewhat making restless.

@Relativity, pls accompany your car. IN case you can't, show it the exact way to TASS representative, how it stalls in 2nd gear when it's not supposed to. If that problem is resolved, i feel knocking sound too will be resolved on it own. Both seem to be interconnected.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    There is no knocking sound, that is just me trying to describe the engine behavior being non-linear.
    @ Enki - You can no longer recive a PM until you clear your messages. I got an Error while sending a PM to you.
  5. Italia-Linea

Pune

Well the ECU tries to maintain the idle rpm irrespective of gears so the car does not stall. its written in the manual too.

Relativity says that there is no error and car maintains a perfect 860rpm at idle.

Our MJD wont stall if you change the gears without suddenly releasing the clutch. i.e you slot in 1st slowly depress the clutch , then 2nd and again slowly, 3rd onwards u can release quickly.
    If you suddenly depress clutch when there is no momentum or upslope etc the car will stall.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Italia, This stalling is not due to immatured releasing of clutch. Let's eliminate any driving errors here. Relativity said that he can't keep engine running in without constant accelerator aid in 2nd gear. He catched on 20-30 km/hr in 2nd gear & then left everything. The engine eventually dies. FIAT doesn't stall how steep the inclination even if you leave it in 4th gear@30km/hr, with 5 loaded passengers. It will keep climbing at a constant speed. You may not have noticed it but it there in your car.

Now when car is shouldn't stall, is that because of ECU errors/tuning? I am pretty sure in advance that analyser will show "no error". Looks a mechanical fault then an electronic one. What if Technician left any of the hose half screwed & engine is gasping for air, fuel blockage (may be injector clogging) etc. ect. I want your inputs. I am sure you can definitely suggest something closer. Relativity should also precisely show it in 2nd gear to TASS representative else it will lead nowhere.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. Italia-Linea

Pune
    Like i said before... if the car is already in momentum it wont stall even when its upslope, In my case my car climbs my parking slope in 1st gear only. If there is no momentum and if i slow and try to climb in 2nd gear it stalls.

I am not suspecting clogged injectors as they will immediately throw an error. They are very sensitive. Mainly injectors on MJD wont clog as diesel filter is a very strong element in between. We need to start tracing with air filter, then air hoses, turbo hoses, then fuel filter.

Lets see what TASS has to say.
  8. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    *Help - Screw fell in Engine Bay*

***** While cleaning the Air Filter today, I dropped 1 of the 3 screws. So, I have 2 new problems now. One, I am missing the middle screw for the air filter box. Secondly, the screw went inside from the bonnet but it did not come out and hit the ground. I think it's stuck somewhere because of the engine guard. It slipped in through a crevice and I think it fell on the fan. Will the screw eventually fall off or will TASS have to open the whole thing and look for it? Can it do any damage if I drive the car?*****

I have highlighted the crevice where the screw slipped from in the second picture.

DSC01201.jpg
    DSC01203.jpg

Mods - I know this is a duplicate thread but I am trying to get some attention on an urgent basis.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    oops.. this is dangerous now as you will begin to have slight bulge in the cover because the screw is not holding at all 3 places an air starts entering into it (which is not good)
    Do this, jack up the car and hit the engine guard hard. If the screw is on the guard you can hear it jump around and slowly you can direct it to one of the openings (nearest) by hitting it at angles...
    If you cannot feel the screw then please use a torch and figure out where its fallen and get it fixed by some mechanic..
    Dont start the engine without Making sure that the screw is nowhere near the fan.. . Fan blades and screws dont mix well :)
    2 people like this.
  10. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    @ theblack - You're a genius man. Looked around hard & found it lodged between the radiator & the radiator lining. After a long struggle using the jack and all sorts of things, managed to push it out. finally, hit the engine guard till it finally showed it's beautiful face. My neighbors and the water delivery guy called me "Super Mechanical!" LOL. I am so damn relieved. Will always use a bowl or a tray to keep anything from under the hood.

Mods - Thread can be closed.