1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Relax. If it's only 500 meters that you drove with half-engaged hand brake, nothing damaging would have happened to your car.
  2. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Thank you. Good to hear I may not have caused too much trouble to the Punto.

For knowledge sake - does hand brake engage the same drum brake which is used by the main break or does it use a different (less powerful - just enough to hold the car at rest) brake mechanism?
  3. Ferrariscdr

Ferrariscdr Amatore

Karnataka
    It happens...when i started driving in my Premier Padmini I put hand brake and forgot to release it. Throughout journey I was hearing some sound and resistance to move. when I reached home I realized that it was hand break. drove almost 5km.

Nothing will happen only small wear of breakpads and in your case it is only 500 mts so not to worry. Next time when you service check your cars handbrake wire and breakpads.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Handbrake uses the same rear drum. There's no separate system.

Don't worry about it.
  5. Did you not get the beep?
  6. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Bhilai
    Linea 1.3
    Such a small distance might not be damaging. But I was told that resting your foot on the clutch pad and driving with hand break engaged are two things that will damage your clutch plates in the long run.

I am not sure how far this statement is true. Can someone enlighten us on this issue.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The load on the entire drivetrain, not only the clutch , increases manifold when the car is driven with the handbrake on. Imagine pulling a Land Cruiser 200 with the Punto. :)

That will surely lead to accelerated wear and tear. But 500m is not much.

I will probably be beaten up for this statement but i have "heard" that the honourable lady drivers do drive with the handbrake engaged, unintentionally, loads of times.

Cheers.
  8. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

Ghatkopar-Mumbai
    I've driven with handbrake on once and after driving for around 100 meter, a loud beep started and immediately I looked at the panel and I saw exclamation mark. I disengaged the handbrake. I wonder how you did not get any beep.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  9. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    It may be because hand brake was not fully engaged. Therefore ECU did not find anything serious enough to warn me - just some guess work.
  10. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I remember driving for more than 30km with handbrake engaged on my dads zen. Nothing major happened other than the rubber burning smell which I noticed when I stepped out of the car.