1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. arian

arian Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea dead axle replaced at a whopping price! (65,000 kms update)

My linea recently underwent 60,000 service and I replaced quite a bit of parts from the back suspension as well as the front lower arms as suggested by the SA. The total cost was approx. Rs 25000/-.

Now at 65,000 kms the car developed a strange noise at the back while driving on roads which have minor undulations (now every road in mumbai has undulations which means the noise was persistent). I thought the noise was from the parcel tray or seats so was cool about it. Finally had to take it to the SC who inspected everything - right from removing the boot with hinges to seats to parcel tray even then the noise persisted. The newly put shock absorbers were replaced too but to no avail.

Finally the "DEAD AXLE" became the suspect as there was nothing else in the car to remove & take a test drive. So they put in a new dead axle & the noise disappeared. But at what cost? They charged me an exorbitant Rs. 25000/- for dead axle. I did my own bit of research & found that very few Front wheel drive cars use dead axle nowadays & its basically a cost saving exercise. Even TATAs dont use it their cars. This part doesnt even have any major function. But then due to the constant irritation of noise I had to change this. At 65000 kms the part is not even covered in warranty. There was no damage to the underbody nor is my car accidental & I find it very strange that the dead axle should develop rattles. The SA also told me that the quality of some body parts in Linea is so poor that body rattles are unavoidable after running over 60k Kms esp in our roads. Since my car was fully stripped of carpets & every other deadening material he showed the small joints in the cars body (skeleton) which had minor misalignments here & there though not a serious issue.

Now after the suspensions & then the dead axle I seriously have apprehensions of long I m gonna keep this car. Post 60,000kms the costs of "wear tear" induced in running parts are going up & though i have an extended warranty none of these are covered. I m scared to even think of other such parts which may be due for replacement in future. The labour costs are unimaginable (got brake discs for Rs. 1500/ - and had to pay 2500/- as labour). I want to keep the car for a minmum 1 lakh kms but at what cost is the question.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    why did u pay for a part that fiat are changing as a part of recall?

complain to CRM and they will refund ur money. Search our forum for rear axle replacement.
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  4. arian

arian Amatore

Mumbai
  5. jayakrishnakola

jayakrishnakola Regolare

Bangalore
    the noise should have been from the worn out rubber bushes or the spot weld on the rear axle which was the reason fiat did the upgrade of the axle.

you should have changed the rubber bushes and if the noise was still there you should have checked for the defect prone spot weld and welded it again. dead axles shouldn't make any sort of noise actually

i don't think 2009 models were there on the list for upgrading the axle. my linea is down 79k kms and trust me it is the cheapest running car that we have ever owned. it is way cheaper than what i spent on my previous swift that i used for 84k kms.

dont worry you will not spend so much again.
    1 person likes this.
  6. singh

singh Amatore

Mohali
    Some members here have very good knowledge of technical terms and issues . You guys are back bone of forum .
    @arian , you complaint and most probably money will be adjusted or reimburesed.
  7. arian

arian Amatore

Mumbai
    @Jayakrishna - Not sure if the noises were due to the bushes, coz they disappeared as soon as the axle was changed. Coming to spot welding, the guys at TATA didnt have the patience to check all the spot welds. As usual the remedy was to change the entire part (this has been my experience with them for most of my complaints). By the time they identified the cause of rattle, they were completely fried plus they had other vehicles to service so pressure on them to complete the job. One of them started telling how once body rattles crop up there is little that can be done (he actually was trying to find a way out if he couldnt spot the cause). So I was relieved that atleast they found cause.

@singh
    I agree with you. But even if I knew about the recalls, dont think Fortune (The SC) would ve given me a free replacement as their list has no mention of my series of chasis no. ANyway I have written to FIAT (I strongly feel my driving has nothing to do with this even though the car is at 65K).

Thanks
  8. jovi2403

jovi2403 Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Steering Wheel Not Centered after first service

Hi,
    2 weeks I have given my car for first service at SKS FIAT SC @ Madurai,TN. As part of the service they did the Wheel balancing & allignment stuffs. Now that the steering wheel mounted was not centered and it is been bit inclined ~15 Deg from the centre (One can see the FIAT logo on teh steering wheel is inclined when the front wheels r kept straight). Me being @ BGL, my bro was following up with those guys, now even after 3 visits & 3 days time, they were not able to mount it back properly. He is fed up and told me to get it alligned with some good WHEEL ALIGNMENT centers.
    Is it wise to take our car to a wheel allignment guy for fixing the same or do I need to get it rectified at CONCORDE when I take the car back to BANGALORE in a week or so?
    Please let me know your comments. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

READ as
    Hi,
    2 weeks back I ...
  9. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

Pune
    Yes, that should not be issue any good wheel alignment center should be able to centre your steering wheel, I had the same problem after my first service and got it rectified at a wheel alignment center .
  10. jovi2403

jovi2403 Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks Flywheel