1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. airfoil

airfoil Novizio

While on the topic of coolant:

My GP 90 is about 5k km past its previous service. The coolant level had dropped a little below the minimum mark. Now began the task of procuring Paraflu, no mean task. When I quickly discovered Paraflu is available only at Fiat-TASS service centers, I set out to Concorde motors, about 15km away in traffic I'd love to avoid.

Got there around 2:30 PM and got to the spares counter. The harried salesperson took his own sweet time to get around to it and when he finally started the process, his web-based system refused to load past a certain point. 30 minutes and several logout-login attempts later, he finally too pity on me and went to get his handwritten bill-book. I bought two one liter bottles just in case. From here, go upstairs to pay the cashier, then come back down, collect the coolant and head out.

All in all, 45 minutes at the service center to buy the coolant and another 1 hour 45 minutes of driving through bumper-to-bumper traffic. 2 hours 30 minutes for something that should normally have taken 30 minutes, had this been available in the market.

To make matters worse, there's no over the counter sale of engine oil, since it is shipped in barrels. If we happen to be hundreds of kilometers away from the nearest Fiat service center while on a road trip and find low engine oil levels, then we gotta pray there's Castrol synthetic oil available nearby.

Why cannot Fiat ensure that supplies of these consumables are readily available at TATA showrooms? And try to have it supplied in the retail market as well. Or suggest suitable alternatives.

If you have not already done so, I strongly recommend you pick up a liter each of Paraflu and Selenia (if available) on your next workshop visit and keep it handy.
  2. Tron

Tron Superiore

@Rams, sorry hear your problem. BTW where are you from?
    Mulund means you are talking about Galaxy motors right??

Im from mulund too & even i had many unpleasent experiances in Galaxy.
    Go to our contacts thread & shoot mails to respective FIAT officials.
    Also don't fill-up the feedback form & when you'll get a call from FIAT about feedback tell them what things happened.

Also if needed any further advice & help feel free to ask.

PS - by any chance are you owning Fox Trote Azure color??
  3. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3
    My punto's coolant level too decreased by a few mm and during my second service at concord, sanath nagar they topped up with distilled(de-mineralised) water. Just it took a few ml. of it. But, even now if I check the coolant level after a spin it is a few mm lower than the max. level and on cold engine the level is few mm above the max. mark. When, asked about this in this forum I was replied that is normal.

P.S.:- I drove all the way from 300+ kms. to get the second service done here at concorde.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Ok I've gone through this entire post but i have not found (or have missed) proper explanation about idle times during a hot start/stop
    Anyone cares to share what they do (read "advisable")
  5. yep. burning rubber/wire type.
    btw, my version doesnt have auto-ac, still facing the problem. seems some mechanical issue with all versions.
  6. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Grande Punto 1.4
    take it to the service center asap and take their opinion. maybe we can share the different prognosis out here...

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

or maybe we can write a mail directly to FIAT and see what their technical dept says and then we can convey the same to respective service centers to get it rectified..
  7. my experience isnt that great with them, but still will give a shot.

btw, where are you based? you took your car to worli concord right? my office is in lower parel n i drive everyday. possible to meet somewhere there?
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  8. royj

royj Esperto

For a proper answer, stop reading by post #13 ;)
  9. SAF_RoadWarrior

SAF_RoadWarrior Amatore

Linea 1.4
    I do it regularly for my t-jet..
    First start of the day..idling..close to 1 min .
    Intermittent starts : idling 30 sec..
    Ignition off..always close to 60 sec/75 sec..
    Are they good practice?
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

They are very good practices. Engines might've become modern, complex, laden with gizmos - but fundamentally they are still almost the same.

Engines , old or new , last long only when cared for.

The manual may state " drive away as soon as you start" - but the fine invisible print in that means - save every drop of fuel -To maximise fuel efficiency - To make it appealing for the user. Even though it'll be harmful in the long run.

Trust me, manufacturers do not write owners manual just for the benefit of the engine or user. They are a valuable marketing tool as well. A 15,000km service interval does sound nice for marketing purposes, doesn't it? Is it practically viable in a country like India? - No. That's my opinion from day one.