1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Pran,

I don't think the injectors would need cleaning yet. Also, the classic symptoms of injectors getting clogged is engine stumbling, misfiring etc.

Plus, make sure the Bosch guys do CRDI injectors. They are very, very complex and require special equipment for testing and cleaning. Talk with TASS beforehand if you intend to do this. Since removal, refitting and bleeding of injectors( I'm not sure if Multijet injectors are self bleeding or not ) is no mean task.

Try getting the intercooler and EGR valve cleaned thoroughly at TASS. Vijay Khasa recently got this done and reported a jump in performance. I'm sure it'll help efficiency also.

Cheers.
  2. PuntoOwner

PuntoOwner Timido

bangalore
    BAngalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Guys,

An update on the OB issue. There's a sticker on the left side near to the rear view mirror which says the color as nutturno blue. Now don,t know what exactly is this color.

Prasanth,relativity,puntosat can u chk ur vehicle and confirm

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

Guys,

An update on the OB issue. There's a sticker on the left side near to the rear view mirror which says the color as nutturno blue. Now don,t know what exactly is this color.

Prasanth,relativity,puntosat can u chk ur vehicle and confirm
  3. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Varun, since I am not a fan of the cleaning agents which directly get into the engine, I would prefer to stay away from it for the time being.
    Girjinder, as you suggested I am going for the intercooler and EGR value cleaning, I have to wait for few weeks before it can be done, work is keeping me busy :).
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Hi Pran, even I get 11 kmpl mostly in city. I am not very sure about it but I attribute this low mileage to my driving style where I revv it a lot. Its like when signal turns green i revv it to the maximum more often than not. And my punto is still running on 165/80 R14 tyres.

Are you getting this mileage with normal driving or you too drive with a hard foot more often than not.

What do you think? is the mileage ok for me or I should also get it checked
  5. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Shams, I am a very sedate driver in the city, and I don't race from the signal, mostly I follow the vehicle in front of me, unless that vehicle is really slow on a relatively free stretch, at times I switch to neutral when in a slope and the road is empty. I am a totally different driver on the highways, overtaking every vehicle possible :p. I tried to extract more from the fuel by filling in more air pressure till 32psi in-spite of the bumpy ride my CPC2 was providing, switching to neutral and cruising when ever possible and switching off the engine at long signals. Nothing helped, so it is something else.

11 looks too less for this engine, no matter how hard you drive, and diesel has more hydrocarbons than petrol, so it has to give better mileage than a petrol.
  6. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

Pran, From your style it looks like you are feather footed driver most of the time and always having an eye on the Fuel consumption, which is good on the pocket but may not be the best for your engine.

Recently I had a similar problem of sluggishness and a drop in FE. I did the Air filter thing as usual by myself, but things didnt improve. Then what I did was to spend half a tank of fuel by driving in lower gears and taking it to higher max revs in each gear and giving bursts of acceleration. I felt the engine a lot different after that. It is possibly due to clogging of the channels mainly for city users who have very low average speeds and its always B2 B traffic. Somebody on this forum had long ago told me to do this kind of driving always. Now the FE in Chennai city is 14 for me.

Very often we end up in the TASC for such complaints and unnecessarily do a lot of diagnosis and change parts and complicate matters and end up at zero on satisfaction and the purse.:D

Abdul
    1 person likes this.
  7. What purpose will it serve by shifting to neutral in between the drive? low fuel consumption? Once a professional driver told me that never put ur car in neutral in the middle of the drive. It could jam your brakes(Not sure if that's true but he def. said about jamming something)? Just want to clear doubt...
  8. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I agree on that, but once a month I take my car on the highways for a non-stop 9-11hrs drive where the car always remain in the 3000-4000rpm band, so channels should be clean anyway if that contributes to cleaning.

pinakin_mevawala : the best mileage figure that I have managed so far is when I tried this technique of shifting to neutral whenever possible. What the driver told you is true only if the engine is switched off, when the power steering, brakes (anything else?) just refuses to function properly, else everything should work normal.
  9. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Pran,

Shifting to neutral while cruising will not give any improvement as the engine will go to idle mode and still consume fuel ( see IFC reading ) whereas if you lift your foot off the accelerator in gear in cruise mode, the fuel shuts off and you can see the instant fuel consumption at a default 50kmpl. So, IMO it is a wasted effort to cruise in neutral in the mjd, better will be to cruise in 5th gear with the pedal off

Abdul
  10. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    Stunningly yesterday I got avg 20 km/l both sides from home to office and office to home...!!!!! ( 8pm yest and 10 am today)

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

I was taking off my foot off accelerator..when not needed...and I did'nt have to slow down either..22kms in 45 mins...