1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. sundar1900

sundar1900 Amatore

Some oddities with Punto

Hi TFIians as many of you know I am getting my punto delivered next week and I noticed few odd things in Punto. Infact my friend who owns Beat brought this to my notice. I have just two things to say

1) Indicator lever is is on the left hand side. He said it will be "disturbing" while changing gears and at the same time to switch on the indicator. Most of the cars indicator lever is on right why is it so??

2) Parking light is on only one side while Beat and many other cars have parking lights on both sides.

Are these odd features in Punto? Practically how many of you felt difficulties due to this?
  2. This all depends on your getting used to these features...
    Initially i was also a bit aprhend about left side indicator but over a period of time i have got accustomed and i am loving it....!!!

IMHO i believe its not mandatory to have 2 reverse lights in India...so i guess Fiat has donr a cost cutting in that...but we should also consider the overall package it gives as comapred to others

dont worry so much.. just think how will you enjoy the beauty once you get it..
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

No offence to your friend , but, when i was small, i heard a story of the fox who after repeated attempts could not eat the grapes he wanted and ends up saying - "the grapes are sour".

Your friend is wrong about both the indicator placement and the parking light.

Firstly, there are two parking lights like any car. Punto has one reverse light. Most cars in this segment and lower these days are coming with one light only. Yes it's more of a cost cutting measure, but nothing exclusive to the Punto.

The steering stalk placement is similar to many European cars who are rated 5 starts (maximum) in the safety department. So there is definitely no "disturbance". You just have to get used to it. Usually while turning, we give the turn signal first of all, gear changing happens later. Gear change+turn signal at the same time is wrong driving in my book.

Hope i cleared some "oddities".

1 person likes this.
  4. sundar1900

sundar1900 Amatore

Oops I meant the reverse light. I am convinced of the getting used to factor as far as indicator. Need to practically see how I take reverse in pitch dark with only one light on.
  5. clash81

clash81 Regolare

I have never found the indicator stalk to be disturbing. On the contrary, travelling in a claustrophobic beat cabin can be quite ""disturbing".

The reverse lamp doesnt bother much. After all none of the vehicles have 200 volts incandescent bulbs lighting up their rear while reversing. Isnt it? If it is pitch dark, a combination of your tail lamps, the rear fog lamp and the reverse lamp will provide enough/adequate visibility while reversing.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

left side indicator stalk is a welcome change as you can operate the indicator without disturbing your main hand i.e. right hand of the steering wheel.
    Reverse light is not powerful enough to provide any assistance in pitch dark conditions I find it better to get down and inspect the surrounding even though linea have dual reverse lights.

Even beat have few oddities like In your face bike inspired instrument panel and rear door handle placement.
    It's just a matter of getting used to, it might seem difficult to operate for a day or two initially.
  7. elaramvani

elaramvani Novizio

Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
    Linea 1.4
    Thanks Italia-Linea.
    My qn. is then why the initial factory fitted vulnerouble parts failed/needs replacement, if most of the parts came from OEM-Italy?
  8. royj

royj Esperto

Most European cars too seems to have only one reverse light and one rear fog light. AFAIK, the Volkswagen Polo-Vento-Jetta too has the same configuration. The Japanese and Koreans on the other hand has two reverse lights and lower variants do not have rear fog lights.
  9. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    I read somewhere in the forum that European laws say that one reversing light is sufficient. BTW, how much would Fiat save by providing only one reversing light?
  10. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, it(indicator stalk) is a matter of getting used to. Punto is my first car and never felt it as a problem.

Even dual reverse lights are not of much use while reversing in pitch dark. There is nothing to stop you from switching on rear fog lamp.

Congrats on your new possession. Enjoy the drive.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012