1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Sadly the gauge at same place also does not read the same everytime. I used to constantly fill air only at one pump. One fine day suddenly my linea started jumping a giving earthquakes while travelling on rough road.
    I pulled over a tyre shop and checked the air pressure. Holy cow all tyres were filled with 48psi. Next time i visited the same pump and told him this problem. then he said that every 15-20 days they calibrate the gauge. Last time there was big problem, but now its corrected.

Now i have my own Digital air gauge bought off ebay for 599 rs and it works perfectly. All my investigations have revealed that many times the same pump fills different levels of air.
    Now even when they fill more i can easily correct it with my new gauge.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The exact reasons can only be known after an examination of the tire by an expert.

However, the probable reasons can be -

-Inherent manufacturing defect
    -extremely worn out
    -Below par build quality
    - incorrect tire pressure (by a huge margin) etc

If the tire is healthy and not worn out, i don't see any reason why it should be given "rest" between travels.

Tires, by the very nature of their "work environment" are bound to get heated up. That's normal. And tires are designed for it. Atleast the ones from reputed manufacturers.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  3. soori

soori

Dubai
    How long did you drive after filling air in T.A.S.S. If the car travels more than 5kms the tire gets heated and hence the air gets expanded and the pressure is more. If the pressure is 32 at cold, the same tire would read the pressure above 37 when it is hot.

So generally it is a good practice to fill the air before 3 kms after the cold start. Hence, I check the tire pressure in the morning and the filling station is 100m away.
    1 person likes this.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Good point there Italia. That can be the case too at places.

Oh my god. Did the tyres look like this? :D

RedTire.jpg
    2 people like this.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    One more post I'm Offtopic
    Agreed...
    left front tyre of my car has got crack kind thinline(also a little depth) on the side wall of tyre but never felt that there is any air leakage,is this an worry... completed 19K Kms till now...

does the high -end cars (Mercedes,Audi,BMW) have instrumentation(Analogue or Digi) related to the tyre pressure or tyre faulty as an hightech feature ?
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I think Scorpio have tyre pressure monitor.
  7. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ItaliaLinea,

I fully agree with you. I too have faced the same problem. The only answer is to buy a good TPG, and cross check after every filling.

Improper tyre pressures will affect tyre wear and hence tyre life, in addition to the safety implications.

Regards
    Johnny
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Well that is the problem.. which one is the so called "Correct TPG"?
    So either buy a cheap TPG and get it calibrated to know if its right or figure out the difference or go for an ISO certified gauge(which is hard to find in India).
    Till that point we will have to trust our instincts and live with it that's all..

I know of cars where in the past 15yrs the tires have been changed twice. People just dont consider it a big deal.
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    most of the ebay TPG are almost accurate within 0.1/0.2 psi. So no sweat over that. You also get michelin ones which are costly and have good accuracy.

I have the Rs.599 stuff and i must say it is very close to accurate. I had crossed checked it with michelin. When the michelin ones read 33.2 mine read 33.1
  10. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore