1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    That's interesting. I reckon you refer to a sort of annealing being done by the heat generated during braking.

But rather than the rotors becoming hard, the one and only reason to get them resurfaced (a.k.a turned) is to restore an absolutely level surface of the rotor. It is the warped surface which produces vibrations when in contact with the brake pads and consequently we feel the vehicle shuddering.

What say.
  2. jitesh

jitesh

Ahemdabad
    hi yashik
    the reply came from customercare...thank you very much for guiding and helping me the putting the words in right manner.
    :p
    1 person likes this.
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    yes off course, its done to true the surface. what i was explaining was the after effects of turning the rotors. some turners do it abruptly on the lathe where they speed the feed to do job quickly.
    in this process the metallurgical properties of the original metal is altered which causes hardening of brake disks when in service very soon.

When the OEM part is manufactured its CNC turned with constant oiling and not with coolant. this is done so that the surface doesnt become hard. i.e the cooling is very gradual as opposed to quick cooling by coolant in drilling etc process. My relative owns a big machine shop which manufactures these brake disks for TATA vehicles.

These after market turners dont follow this process and sometimes use coolant or do the turning process as it is.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    what was the reply from FIAT ?
  5. Sam

Sam Amatore

Mumbai
    Not exactly. And I am not defaming/underestimating the 75 hp beast. What I am trying to speculate is a "good and safe practice" when it comes to revving engines from longevity and reliability perspective. Of course I like to cruise on highways but not at the risk of killing my engine either instantly or over few years :p

My conclusion of 4.5k rpm was solely based on the top speed mentioned in manual and rpm range when engine produces full power (75 hp) after some calculations which in my eye seems like manufacturer’s recommendation. :cool: It doesn’t really say that you can't rev more than 4.5k rpm but just that if you do you "may" risk your engine/transmission/(and may be tyres) life over time. ;)

And I am really happy to see some people have pushed their beast upto 6k rpm (kudos to you!!!) which just at a thought for my car scares me! :eek:
  6. elaramvani

elaramvani Novizio

Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
    Chennai
    Linea 1.4
    WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

ANY TECHSAAVY CAN CLARIFY THIS???

Hi members! After taking delivery of my Linea While cleaning inside of my car I found the enclosed tag with the pedal. On viewing the tag, I arrived at a conclusion that it may be came from Italy. Am I right or not?

MODS: If you think it is irrelevant, pls. block this. 5421-custom.jpg
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The max bhp put out by the Multijet (75&90) is at 4000rpm if i remember correctly.

To push the engine beyond this rpm is just a futile exercise. It is the same case with every engine - use it within the powerband. Post the powerband, the power falls rapidly till the fuel cut off, and the engine is doing much more work to produce lesser power. This is especially applicable for economy engines like ours.

Both the 75&90 Multijet are basically economy engines only.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  8. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Leave all that enginering buddy....check all tyres ...there is a slow puncture somewhere.....thats causing this issue. Get that fixed along with Wheel alignment and you eill be fine.
  9. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Sorry, I would keep different opinion on this.Pony engines propelling heavy vehicles like Linea/Punto to such high speeds is only economical? what other engines one can bet for, Let it be economy or whatever else?

Economy is just icing on the cake for MJD's & one of the strongest attributes out of many among it's competitors.
    Top speed is never achieved @rpm with peak power. I would consider @top speed RPMs as an extreme limit of an engine rather @peak power RPMs. The thing doesn't end @4000 rpm at all in an MJD. One cannot utter the paper stats while driving. It serves pretty well beyond 4000 rpm too.

May be we should avoid a debate here.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

You can't convince that to someone in Europe/US/Brazil where people cruise often at these RPMs on highways like routine which we can never have privilege of on Indian roads. Does it mean Engine's durability is less there? Why Service intervals are much longer than India:p? For it has reached up-to 35000 Kms for Multiair. These are far more sturdy piece of engineering than we can think of. How many Swift diesel/MJD equipped vehicles you have seen on road side like those Indica's diesel which is pretty usual site. IMO Indica owners are far more disciplined than you too, because they actually can't rev. it beyond 4000 RPM:evilsmile. if one wants to maintain longevity, slot it in right gears at right RPMs, get oil changed at regular intervals & ensure clean filters & regular check ups for coolant n bla bla. Are you getting me wrong here like i always drive MJD@5100 rpm. come on, You know it what my point is exactly. You can rev. it whenever you want to & it will be just fine.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  10. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Well if you are not into Drag racing or Quater mile racing ....you will never be able to puch your Car to 5000 Plus on tacometer. Your natural driving instinct will urge you to shift to a higher gear as soon as you here a harshe engine note. I personally shift to higher gear on my Linea @2500rpm....on palio I shifted at 3000rpm.