1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    It seems the engine guard got a major impact and it got bent, damaging the oil sump. He has asked them to replace the oil sump and straighten the guard. He is doing his 30k service at 30K kms in 13 months.
  2. Tron

Tron Superiore

Woohoo...sounds like one more new recipe for italiya for new DIY! :p :-D

Anyway just kidding, even i have faced this but then it was a time when i discoverd about my strut mounts & was busy on focusing on this problem.

But now a days i keep my AC on fix 22.5/23 degrees. I gave up using auto mode so it dosen't bother me that much.

Also mumbai's temprature dosen't go below 26* so 23/22 degrees is comfertable for me.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  3. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks Italia-Linea, Tron. I am relieved my Punto is functioning properly :). My B&M box getting replaced today as it stopped functioning.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  4. Sam

Sam Amatore

What should be max safe engine RPM in any gear

What is the max safe engine RPM can I push my car to in any gear for MJD in Punto? I have heard a lot about redlines but really visually I don't see any red line on RPM gauge (if I am misunderstanding anything) and also the max on gauge is 7k so I believe we can go uptill 5k safely. Experts???

5. theblack

theblack Esperto

car cover importance and issues

Hi All,

I own a black punto and i generally keep it in the garage when I'm not using it.
    However every time after a wash/wax I see that within a matter of few hrs fine dust sits on the car(even inside the garage) thanks to dusty environment.
    I have got a car cover from FIAT but i've read that the cover needs to breath or else it can spoil the paint on the car .
    keeping this in mind i wanted to know if i can use the regular cover from FIAT guys or I was planning on stitching some pieces of cotton clothes and making a rudimentary cover .
    Since I already keep it indoors i felt that this stitching approach would be good.

Is it safe to use the car cover given by FIAT or should i stitch one ?
    Mind you its only to prevent dust settling on the car and for nothing else.
  6. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Please correct me if I am wrong guys, but if one is a bit finicky about minor scratches and swirls etc. then a car cover might not sound like a very good idea.

7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

The MJD ECU's are tuned for cutting off the fuel if you are over-revving it. For 90 HP, it's 5100 RPM obviously (max & safe). If you try to challenge that limit, fuel is simply cut off & you are rewarded with a few jerks in the car because of the blank spots created in fuel supply. I think FIAT India has taken a over cautious approach for Indian market. MJD's are more capable machines that what they have been allowed to perform in India because of FIAT's durability is "by default" questioned in India.
    Specific output of MJD's is capable upto 85 hp/Ltr with 180 NM torque at least (refer 2 ltr multijet). When i see youtube videos of european 1.3 MJDs, the high speeds are achieved at much lower RPMs than Indian counterparts. I think FIAT has already tuned their engines to play in safe RPMs only to break records for longetivity.Even tuning chipped MJD's to deliever upto 105HP/274 NM shouldn't challenge it's endurance/durability because that is matching to their specific O/P in stock cars. So don't baby sit too much these mad little scamps else these MJD's could get frustrated being paralysed enough by FIAT India already:p.
    4 people like this.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

The safest is to never redline your tacho.
    By redlining you will have the following going on.
    1.) Unnecessary wastage of fuel as in lower gears your opening the tap too much to let more fuel flow but higher gears are not chosen due to which that car can't go any faster.
    2.) due to this heavy load on the gearbox/clutch system, you will eventually fry these components.
    3.) Low mileage because of point-1

AFAIK there is nothing called safe engine RPM because if you're at 30kmph and in 4th gear the vehicle will still pull but will incur negative stress on gearbox , likewise if your doing 80kmph in 2nd gear you will do the opposite but still will strain the gearbox and other components...

The best thing to do is follow the car manual given to you.. there you have a split up of kmph VS gear , follow that and you're engine will be happy.
    The other thing you can do is to just listen to the engine.
    When you're almost approaching the redline you're engine(petrol or diesel) will start to grunt loudly . you can hear this very very well.. Just make sure you change up before that grunt sets in.

PS:: Obviously if you need instantaneous acceleration you will drop a gear and the engine will begin to grunt but this is not on a daily basis so there is nothing that can happen to your engine.
    1 person likes this.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Didnt understand..
    You mean to say that while covering the car itself one can induce scratches?
    Well that's something we have to do carefully i guess.
    But I"m not too particular about some minor scratches, I inspect and get all scratches removed once in 5months anyway
  10. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

There is a material called TYVEX (Manufactured by Dupont) which is supposed to do the breathing etc you mentioned. It's listed on the accessories page, not sure if the dealer keep stock. Check it out.

Fiat India

Should be in the car care & utility section.