1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. somu_200

somu_200

Hyderabad
    i heard , in the 2012 model shocks length was increased for increasing the ground clearance, can we replace the shocks with new ones for increasing the GC? is it advisable?
    1 person likes this.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    At the moment it is not clear what all changes have been done to the complete suspension setup. So, i don't think a simple swap is possible yet, till all the details come out. At the launch there was a mention of the entire suspension being redesigned, and that sounds quite logical.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    me too having the doubt somu
  4. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    As others have already mentioned, the engine guard is strong enough to stand almost any impact. During the initial days with my punto, I too went through the same painful experience. Each hit on on the engine guard pains you, espcially when it is a brand new car.
    Best thing you can do is to adjust your driving style. Do not apply brakes when you are on the speed breaker, instead, release the brakes when the front wheels are about 0.5 meters away from the speed breakers. The suspension action resulting from the release of brakes raises the car by a few millimeters. Another way is to turn a little to the left or right so that both the wheels do not go on the speed breaker at the same time, instead they will go one after the other. See illustration below.
    road.jpg

DISCLAIMER: These may not be scientific or research based, but works for me.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi FIatlover,
    with this way of driving dont you think that it will hit the side edge(left or right)of the body while passing over through speed brakers,may be engine guard passes over easily...
    i believe into slow down as much as possible with patience:) on path holes & speed breakers
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    The blue lines on either sides mark the roads(drivable area). If the engine guard passes without hitting, I am sure the entire under body will pass. I am not explaining how to avoid the speed breaker by going through the sides. Driving this way, you can go over the speed breaker without hitting the under body or the sides. Instead of driving parallel to the speed breakers, give an ange so that both the tyres do not climb the bump at the same time. And you any way have to slow down when you go over speed breakers and potholes.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    will give a practical try as explained by you.
    may be govt should act on the size of speed brakers :D,,,
    bbbboy if one bump level that's ok , more than one then really painfull :(
  8. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

Chennai
    Fiatlover, your approach had worked for me too. That is how i used to drive my Siena as well.
  9. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Talking of low ground clearance and avoiding speed breaker hits :p.

buggati veryon 3.jpg
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3