1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    What I always follow is to press the handbrake only one or two clicks when I park in my garage. I have seen my father pull it all the way on the same garage which is not a correct practice.

A con of pulling handbrake one or two click is that you might fail to release handbrake and car will move just like normal when driven. But then FIAT cars have a buzzer warning for handbrake even if its just a single click lock. I LOVE THIS feature. :)

P.S.- My garage is level. This is not valid for parkings where the inclination of parking floor is more than 5 degrees.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  2. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    How about putting it in 1st gear & pulling the handbrake two or three clicks while parking so that the handbrake is not pulled to the extreme ?
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    On downward slope or upward slope? :p
  4. ninads123

ninads123

Nashik
    Thanks guys :)

Will use handbrake only if needed and will check the cable and lubricants.... Thank god it happened in my garage and not on ghat :D
  5. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    On downward slope engage reverse gear & if it is upward use 1st gear. For slight inclination 1st gear is ok. What say ??
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Guys, parking the car with only the gear slotted in either of the gears does not sound healthy for the gearbox to me.

The gearbox will be under a constant strain.

My take is - Ensure a regular check up of the handbrake every service and use it when parking the car for short intervals, like a day or max few days. If you intend to leave the car parked for weeks, then wooden blocks are the perfect solution. Slot the car into a gear, only after the car is resting on the blocks, so that there is no load on the gears, and this slotting into a gear would work as a failsafe mechanism in the event some miscreant removes the wooden blocks.

The handbrake is called the Parking brake for a reason. :)

Cheers
  7. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Thanks Guru. That makes sense. I am having this bad habit . But it was always to be on the safer side as the place where I am staying are full of slopes :rolleyes:.
  8. bna

bna Novizio

Bangalore
    Guys,

Problem as re-occurred. This time the whole display on the MID is blank. Removed the battery connection but no luck. everything else is normal except the display. Need to visit TASS.

regards
    Ashok
  9. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Clutch change versus warranty

My car is under extended warranty 2009 Linea MJD run 56000 kms.My clutch bearing has started its scream so the car needs clutch change although the clutch is performing well.If I get the clutch change from outside will it void the warranty since they have to open gears as transmission parts are under warranty.
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I think you know everything, what is the confusion?