1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. ninads123

ninads123

Nashik
    HANDBRAKE Locked

Hello,

Today morning when I started my linea, car was not moving. Rear passenger side Tyre was locked... handbrake was released but still it was locked. Tyre was just skidding.. tried to move further and back 4-5 times very hard and finally it was released.

After checking FIAT forums, I found that this is common in linea in winters and if your car is stationary for few days.

My car was parked in my garage for 2 days. So my question is, do I need to visit FASC to have a look at handbrake cable or should avoid using handbrake for overnight parking?
    And parking my car in 1st or reverse gear will cause any problem for gears?

Have you faced same issue?
  2. Ninads ,
    IMHO , never park car with hand brakes on . It is always better to park the car in 1st gear or reverse gear depending on the situation . Absolutely no issues in parking with gears . But always remember to engage gear in neutral before starting . :)

Once the same thing happened with my Santro also . The hand brake got jammed and I had to call the S C .

Ajit
  3. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    Our Linea is parked with handbrake on for many weeks. Will check out if the wheels are locked.

What should be done if the wheels are locked?
  4. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Cuty red is right.Never engage handrake if ur parking on a flat surface,engage in 1st and park!! Only apply handbrake on incline or decline parking.And make sure u engage reverse if ur parking on a decline and 1st gear for incline.
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    I have parked my car for 2 weeks with handbrake there was no locking.
    Do you pull the handbrake till the last click it makes, on a plane parking surface 1 click is enough to hold the car stationary and 2 click ensures that no accidental push let the car move. On inclines 3 clicks are enough to hold the car.
  6. jayakrishnakola

jayakrishnakola Regolare

Bangalore
    happens not only in linea. my uncles polo also had this once when the car was parked for more than a couple of weeks.

i just asked few people to sit in the back seat so that the wheel doesnt skid. and as i moved the car front, the braked released with a huge "thak" sound.

and also the brake "krrrrrr" "krrrrrrr" sound that comes when our fiats are uphill or downhill also comes in volks wagen and skoda vehicles.
  7. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

This happened in my Punto once. I parked my car after wash and after 4 days when i tried to reverse, the right back tyre was locked. I put the car in 1st gear and move and the brake got released. This happened only once. I am not sure if this is a issue. I always park my cars with hand brake, but my Alto never had this issue in the past 5 years.

R,
    Vishnu
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    i remember having read in the manual not to park the car with handbrake engaged. but most of us still have to do it because of the parking spaces not being flat. even today i have parked my punto on a ramp with handbrake engaged in my office parking :):)
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    It is advisable not to use handbrake for overnight/long term parking. I always use a pair of wooden wedges for overnight/long term parking instead of handbrake. My Linea has a pair of them in her boot too.
    1231.jpg
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Get the handbrake mechanism lubed well by the dealer.

Parking with the help of a handbrake for a day or few days shouldn't be an issue. For longer durations, those wedge shaped wooden blocks are perfect. Although i use two bricks behind both rear tires. :p.

Cheers