1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. xler

xler Novizio

Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India
    Linea 1.3

I am allergic to the noise of engine guard scraping on our roads. . I am a careful driver and have the necessary skills to avoid bottom scraping, thanks to my current car – Opel Corsa. Despite being careful, there are times when the car bottoms and it always is very painful.

I am evaluating the possibility of upsizing the stock tyres on my yet to be delivered Linea MJD to 195/65 R15. I intend to undertake some long drives. I want to protect her against any challenging roads that we might encounter. I have seen several threads where other TFIians have adopted this method to increase ground clearance. I would not be able to upsize the alloys - too expensive.

I discussed this with a local tyre dealer who has agreed to take back the tyres that would come with my Linea at its (MRP - Rs 500). I have a quote for Michelin XM1+ 195/65 R15 at Rs 5650 each. I would have to pay the difference amount. Assuming I get 3.5k for the stock tyres (likely to be Apollo Accelere), I would need to pay 10.75k for a set of 5 tyres ((5.65 x 5) – (3.5 k x 5))

Need your inputs:
    1. Is upsizing necessary? Linea's GC 161 mm is marginally better than Opel Corsa's 160.
    2. Am I getting a reasonable deal at 10.75k?
    3. Most important – have there been any adverse effects observed by the owners who have upsized their car's tyres?

Please share your thoughts

Dear Mods: I had posted this in another thread (increasing height of Linea). I am not sure if I have broken any rules by posting this again here. I find this is a more appropriate place. Please delete this post if you find this inappropriate.
  2. Tron

Tron Superiore

@arunk, what you said above is scrapping of engine guard! Well it feels really bad when it scraps down on bad road but still i'll say thanks to FIAT. Due to engine guard many vital parts of engine are saved from getting damaged!
    First of all i'll say try to adapt careful driving so that you can avoid scrapping.
    Very next thing if you suspect it is scrapped too much get it checked by TASS on ramp. If its bended inside due to impact then tell mechanic to pull it out. Its all basically you can do.
    And dont worry most of the time engine guard bares the impact & saves your car & take care while driving. Initially i was faceing same problem but if you drive carefully you can save 70% scrapping. I worked on it n it works!
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Arun, when you hear the kreech noise at the speed breakers, it is most likely that your mudflap is the culprit. I too had similar doubt in my mind while driving Punto and later realised that the noise is indeed due to the mudflaps.
    1 person likes this.
  4. arunk

@ramjin - I can very well say that it is not the noise from the mud flaps in my case. Its the steel touching the ground which makes that noise.
  5. I have also observed this in my Punto. I feel this problem is due to soft suspension. The ground clearance is as good as other cars..but my observation is that if you cross the uneven surfaces slowly the long suspension travell can be avoided.
    @Xler : It is not at all a good idea to increase the tyre size to gain more ground clearance.
    Guess..the tripmeter and display needs to be calibrated as per the new tyre size..and also the engine dynamics are going to change as the car will need more torque to rotate the tyre with the same load.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

I wish there was some adjustment to stiffen the springs :)
  6. Srini

Srini Regolare

I noticed today that there are no rear washers present in Punto. The manual talks about a rear washer and how to operate it. Now if I press the stalk, water spalashes only in windshield. Can anyone shed some light on this?
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    In Emotin and Emotion Pack variant there is rear washer and wiper. If you pull stalk upwords then water will splash on front windshield and if you press the stalk downwards then water splashes on rear glass.

Check if the pipe for the rear washer is not connected properly. In my car it is disconnected and I am unable to splash water on rear glass. Have to take car to SC.
  8. mhitesh

mhitesh Amatore

Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Left Rear Door Open Issue

Hey All....I am facing a problem with the Left Rear Door. The door is closed but all the time I am getting the "Left Rear Door Open" alert on the display and the door open LED is blinking. It vanishes for a moment and then appears back.

I guess this could be due to the sensor going kaput, need your suggestions?

9. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Might be sensor or some loose connections, Have it checked at TASS. Nothing to worry as such.

For our own safety, please check the door is properly closed while the LED is blinking.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  10. mhitesh

mhitesh Amatore

Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.4
    TASS at Fortune Nerul is not ready to give an appointment before next thursday. Forced them to give it ASAP and they gave an appointment for Monday.