1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Water can enter the engine guys.

If the engine was ''sealed'', how would it run?

Rod bending is a classic case of a hydrolock.

However there should not be the need to replace the block.

Ideally what should be done is-
    -Check damage to head and valvetrain.
    -check condition of crank.
    -how many rods affected
    -how many pistons affected.

I'm sure a surgical repair of the car will be faster and cheaper.
  2. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    What to service guys think? We mingle with the car for no good reason??!! Ask them for a FOC replacement..As the car neither got stuck in floods or what so ever..

And as Mr Ravi said, do checkout with another service station.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  3. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The term sealed was never used in that context in the first place, it is more concealed as against the petrol engines.

Y not give a local mechanic(trusted one) a look at it, as see what he says, no harm in doing so I guess
  4. tundra

tundra

Trichy
    Hi TFI'ians

How does the VGT of 90HP Punto gain 15BHP more than FGT of 75HP Punto with displacement of both engines being the same
    Being a VGT, (assuming volume of both 75hp FGT and 90hp VGT version of turbo chargers are same) it doesn't compress more air into the intake manifold, when the turbo is fully utilized at 100% compared to a FGT.
    We know that power delivery of VGT is linear compared to the FGT version, how does it translate the additional Power and Torque???
  5. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    "Fixed geometry turbochargers (FGT) work as any other centrifugal pump and thus have
    a limited optimal operating range. VGTs have the advantage that many different pressure
    ratios can be produced at a single engine speed due to the variable vanes changing the
    effective area and A/R. The vanes can be manipulated to create an optimal boost pressure at
    any speed. By producing an optimal boost through a larger engine speed range the overall
    efficiency is increased."

http://me1065.wikidot.com/variable-geometry-turbochargers
  6. sahdk

sahdk Novizio

Navi Mumbai
    I took my car for 2nd service where engine oil was changed. In the evening when I rove my car back home (5km from service center) out of curiosity I took the sample of the engine oil and found that the engine oil is dark black. Got doubt whether they have forgot to change engine oil (I have been charged though), called up the service advisor and he clarified that diesel engine oil gets black immediately and the aging has to be confirmed by the carbon particles present in the oil an not by the color of oil.

Any expert comment on this. Am I being taken for a ride or it is the fact ??
  7. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Diesel car? its reported by others here that they observed the same thing... No problem with your oil change.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
  8. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    sadhak

exactly the oil gets blackned quite sooner in diesel engines,so worry not drive your car.
  9. Bhargav Desai

Bhargav Desai

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for the great help, As per various suggestions shared and the contact list shared, I have sent a mail to the concerned list of individual.

I am also planning to get my car checked with local mechanic and also with other services center personnel.

Will keep you posted with the response that I receive from FIAT.

Thanks once again to all.....
  10. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    going by the link provided by ravi it seems that the most probable entry of water can be through the air filter. you get the air filter checked. the site also states some engine oil test to prove if there is water inside or not.
    going by what you said there is no way water can enter the engine. and 50k is too much to pay.