1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. thank you very much. will keep in touch with teamfiat india.
  2. Bhargav Desai

Bhargav Desai

Issue with my New 1.3 MJD Emotion Punto

Dear friends,

I have purchased a new Car in August 2011 from ASPI motors Ahmedabad, Last week while traveling on Highway I went through a water puddle with around 6-8 inches of water level, There was a sound that started post that.

I visited dealer for the issue, after much wait he informed at end of One week that there is issue with one of the connecting Rod. He also communicated with Fiat for the same issue. Fiat service engineer replied that the issue with Connecting Rod Bend might have occured due to entry of water in the engine. This is not covered under warranty.

Dealer has given me an estimate of rupees 50000 for half-engine block replacement. He is of the opinion that if only the faulty connecting rod is replaced this might impact the car engine in longer run.

I would like to have suggestion/ comments from you all existing members on 2 issues

1) what can be done, what all options do I have to get my car on track.
    2) If only one of the connecting Rod is change what impact can it have and does the engine warranty still stands intact post replacement of the faulty part.

Thanks in advance.
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    6-8 inches of water will no way go inside the engine, provided that your dint stall in the puddle and the water dint enter thru the exhaust.
    did you already tell them that your car was in the water?

in any case ask them to cover under warranty. ask them to explain how did the water go inside!! commenting without opening the engine and seeing the conrod is unwarranted.

if water enters the engine other parts like valves piston etc get damaged and conrod will be the last part to get damaged.
  4. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    how water can come inside the engine??? logic-less lame excuse is being given to you by dealer.visit some other TASS.this morning i drove my MJD over 2.5 feet of water logged,nothing happened.
  5. Bhargav Desai

Bhargav Desai

I am pretty much sure that water was not more than one feet. I have asked for the explanation from the dealer on how can water get into the engine, he said it should have been sucked up by the air hoze and should have entered the engine,

The Fiat engineer have put it on mail that we do not give warranty for issue of water entering the vehicle.
    I have even checked with some of the legal expert for any case that can be registered against the firm. They are of the opinion that we cannot prove that car has not been driven in more water.

Please can you help me on what all can be done.
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    +1 to what Italia-Linea said. water cannot enter the engine unless the car stalled in a place where exhaust was submerged!! they are just giving lame excuses. it has to be covered under warranty.

The connecting rod issue may not be related in any way to your driving in watery road. its a problem that has been seen on many puntos and has been always replaced under warranty without much fuss.
    It might have occurred if u went harshly on a breaker or a pothole also...

So just tell them to forget about water entering the engine and solve the con rod problem. If required go to another SC and dont tell abt your driving in water filled road, just tell about the noise and say it started all of a sudden
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  7. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Bhargav,

have you put across your case to the FIAT corporate honchos? if not please shoot a mail to them as you find the contact details in enclosed link.

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/showthread.php?7-Fiat-India-Contact-List

Mr.Bhatia,Anand and Mangesh will surely help you out.

thats what i was wondering how a dealer can give such lousy reason(which fiat engineer is dealer talking about!!grrrr).suggestion would be take your car to some other service center.
  8. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Last time I heard diesel engines are sealed and water entering it can only happen with one's attitude being worse than negligent
    or someone intentionally poured in some.

That's nothing but rubbish being churned out to you. Better grab the dealer by the scruff of his neck and bend it till he understands whats the issue, and do mention the consequences are not covered under any warranty, so he better get the guess right.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    One suggestion is to get your car checked with one more service center, even if you need to drive long.

First after reading this, was wondering how can a rod be bent with water entered in engine, but i just googled and looks its quite a case - http://www.croberts.com/Hydrostatic-lock.htm.

Only way to claim warranty is to prove that water entered due to some manufacturing fault.
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    sorry, the above quoted post by me was wrong. i got confused btw connecting rod and link rod. apologies!!