Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.
I was told that it will come in 3 months. 2 months have passed already.
Car not being used for 15 days
It may so happen that I need to keep my car parked for 15 days on my building compound in open. What are the precautions I need to take considering mine being MJD? I know some points are mentioned in manual however wanted your advise.
One of my worries include the battery. Will it die once I return back? Will I need to get the car jump started?
No worry for 15 days.
For safer side, disconnect negative terminal of your battery and make sure car is not standing in Handbrake.
Yes, Ravi is bang on. Having a diesel has it's benefits. And one of the benefits is that diesel does not turn to varnish like petrol on standing. Not for weeks or months. But even when sitting for a few years.
Plus, if you can clean the car nicely before leaving, then put the car cover on it,very tightly. Else it'll move around and scratch the paint.
@sam: No worries - absolutely nothing will happen. I have done that twice already and both time, did not face any issues. I did not take any precautions or did anything special.
my car is standing in my parking covered and untouched since 3 months. now what i did to protect her.
1. Gave her a nice pressure wash with interior cleaning from a washing centre, there should be no odour which will attract rats and insects.
2. Gave her a nice carnauba polish. polish each and every hinge, and all the metal, door recesses, boot recesses, everything. this took me 4 hours.
3. Polish the tyres properly with nice tyre polish. its important for standstill tyres.
4. Remove both the terminals of the battery. tug the wire properly somewhere so that it doesnt touch anywhere.
5. ensure all the windows are 100% rolled up and all doors are locked manually, as after removing battery auto window roll up and door lock doesnt work.
6. cover you car with clean cover and tug the belts tightly so that the cover doesnt blow off due to wind.
rest assured your car stays safe and sound
Smart cards sometime take around 2-3 months here in Chandigarh. No worries. Just check with some of your friends regarding the average time taken by RTO to deliver RC card in your area.
I had got my permanent registration number 40 days after inspection at RTO office. Till then they kept on extending the temporary registration validity. Even then I was given a small reciept citing reg. number. I got smart card 2-2.5 months after inspection.
even i received my RC smart card after 1 month, actually the RTO will do Speed post and if no one at home\room it go back to RTO. Try to contact your dealer and tell him to collect the same so that you can go directly to dealer to collect the RC card.
Thanks guys for advises. However removing battery terminals is giving me a kind of thought. Although it might be stupid enough to be shared but can't help myself without sharing it with you.
I understand that removing battery terminals will make my car dead. I mean no electrical component will be able to move from state 1 to state 2 in absence of power.
Now say if before removing terminals I open bonnet of my car, close all doors, central lock them and while bonnet is open I remove terminals and then bang bonnet cover in place. How will I be able to unlock my car now since termials are disconnected and bonnet cannot be opened to reconnect them?
Use the key.
Separate names with a comma.