1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. How many kilometer your ODO reading currently, I had this issue until 15K kms, Now I go to 2500 RPM in 1st ,2000-2500 RPM in second,then shift to third , it will be in 1500 but easily goes to 2200-2500 range, 4th i take it to 2000 RPM and Cruse.

I look at RPM meter then speed while driving intention is to keep the RPM above 1800 band, it works very well.
  2. How many kilometers your ODO reading currently, I had this issue until 15K kms, Now I go to 2500 RPM in 1st ,2000-2500 RPM in second,then shift to third , it will be in 1500 but easily goes to 2200-2500 range, 4th i take it to 2000 RPM and Cruse.

I look at RPM meter then speed while driving intention is to keep the RPM above 1800 band, it works very well.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  3. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    I know nothing specific about engine braking, but found this quote in the Wikipedia Engine Braking article which matched what I observed with my car. AFAIK, it is Petrol engines which have substantial engine braking, not diesel, but having driven both Petrol and Diesel, I was looking for an answer what should cause the braking effect when I downshift and step off the accelerator.

Besides what's in a name ;-)
  4. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    That's a long way to go. I am just over 5k. Frankly I would rather shift with "gut feeling" than watch over the RPM, but with Punto, I haven't been able to get 1st -> 2nd and 2nd -> 3rd quite right.
  5. arjunr

arjunr Amatore

Bangalore
    AC Not working , Brake Discs under Warranty ?

I recently went for a trip to Tirupati and on the way back the AC cooling dropped to zero and it became a blower . It took it to the TASC (Concorde Motors - Diary Circle)

Initially they told me the AC is out of Gas .I asked them how is it possible since the car is only 18 months old .

Then after doing R&D for a day they told me the AC Dryer is gone and therefore there is no cooling. They told me my car was the first case where they have faced such an issue and they did not have the part . They told me it will take 15 days to get the part :eek:

Also there was a screeching noise during high speed braking . They said that the brake pads have worn out and there is a bit of a scraping in the brake discs :oops:

I asked them why was it not replaced in the second service . They told me the condition was good then and it wasnt needed to be replaced .

But now they asked me to replace both the brake pads and the brake discs - I thought the warranty covers the brake disc as well ? Am I right ?

It costed me totally 5872 including Labour charges and Taxes (only for front side brake discs and brake pads ) Did I pay too much or is this the cost ?

Have any of you faced problems with the AC dryer ? The warranty covers the brake discs as well right ?

Also I have taken a extended 2 year warranty from fiat .

I reached out to Arun and he was very helpful to give me some contacts in KHT Motors.

But they are very particular on the feedback I am giving during the customer service call and want me to rate them 10 on every aspect.

The customer response is quite good from them and they even came to my house and replaced the brake pads . I`m not sure even the tata cars get this kind of respect in the TASC :D

Probably this kind of respect matches the Range Rover Service category.
  6. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    +1.
    I too was surprised to read this.. Very often in bumper to bumper traffic, I just coast along with my left foot on the dead pedal and right lightly resting over the brake pedal, the engine hovering between 1000-1200 rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear and I have to be judiciously using the brakes and clutch to prevent the car going forward and hit the vehicle in front.
    Except for the initial deceleration when you take your foot of the pedal, I have never felt the engine doing any braking.
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    this thing that you experience is something very different.
    your car keeps moving with the 1000-1200 rpms even if you have no throttle as its programmed to do so. i.e fuel is still being injected.

engine braking - is somewhat related to reduction box concept where you experience a pull when u pull off your legs from the accelerator due to gear ratio. for example u floor the pedal in 3rd gear and suddenly take it off.

Exhaust braking- very commonly used on commercial vehicles , you can also see them on tata trucks etc is the braking provided by blocking the exhaust gases thus creating a back pressure from the exhaust which creates negative torque on the pistons thus to the gearbox and thus slowing down the vehicle.
  8. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Bhai .. in general what you said regarding petrol & diesel engines may be true. I hope you are aware that there was a diesel TDI from Audi which took part in a Formula 1 race. You can just go through this link here . So oil burners are not only famous for heavy works. I would say diesel technology is one field where more R & D is happening than petrol technology. The diesel clatter which you are referring to normally happens in bigger engines (size wise) with bigger cylinder block & pistons and they need to generate more torque as in the case of Tractors for doing heavy duty works. There are many factors which helps in reducing the clatter & NVH which is felt outside . These factors are generally not of much importance or not considered in Tractors & some commercial vehicles . I am sure at the end of your research you will understand what exactly others are trying to tell you.
  9. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    People i know it sounds foolish, but is there anyway to increase the 2nd gear ratio?
    Regards,
    Jishnu
  10. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    Did some more googling - So Engine braking is also due to the air flow restriction in intake stroke when accelerator is taken off - in case of petrol engines. Engine has to work against the vaccum. But doesn't work on diesel cause diesels vary fuel and not air intake.

But since I cannot deny what I experience, so this must be the "exhaust braking" with turbo vanes restricting exhaust flow when accelerator is released, and may be the cat also has to contribute here (I don't know - but it does seem to be an impedance to exhaust free flow). I can tell you I can leave the car in 2nd gear downhill without the need to brake. I do it everyday.