1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. sungoa2010

MJD 1.3 is actually 1148 CC. Polo's TDI is 1199cc, 120 CRDI is 1398cc and Figo 1.4 is 1399 cc. So Multijet is 52 cc less than 1300cc. But the other engines are close to the figure mentioned for engine. It is amazing that such a small engine do wonders for a heavy car like Linea(Linea's MJD is only 49cc more than the Polo's 1.2 TDI!).
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Italia Linea - Sequential turbos can be strapped upon the small engines easily. Not that i have done it myself, but there is no reason why they cannot be used. Even the puny 1.3 Multijet with its 1248cc's can take sequential twin turbos easily.

The stock Multijet turbo would be pushing somewhere around 15psi easily. And this is not a small figure. The same 15psi with a sequential twin turbo setup would give a tremendous boost to driveability.

The technical know how is there. Costs are the only limiting factor.

3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Correction ! MJD is not 1148 c.c.

It is 1248 C.C.
  4. keshav

I observed the issue more carefully. I think my estimate of 3-4 cms movement was not very accurate. It's more appropriate to say the movement is about 50% of the travel from neutral to third gear.

Thank you all for the responses. I will visit the service center soon.
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

dont know, but as per my knowledge when i was sitting with the R&D guys at Jaguar and Landrover too we always had these discussions of twin and sequential turbos. i have also seen the FD simulations in engine shop quite a lot of time.

It was quite evident that the manifold pressure to run such a set up on small engines is very rare to generate. this had also led Porsche to use high cc engines on their light cars with twin turbos for effective power output.

But if you know any small engine that is running such set up can you please share with me, it will be a very good knowledge as to how they achieved it.

And yes the 1.3 MJD turbo whenever i have tested generates 1.5bar boost at 2500 rpm. i.e close to 21psi, but thats not a question here.

i am in germany now so i cannot verify the manifold pressure at low rpms when the turbo starts spooling but its very low due to low engine capacity.
    When i come back i will post the manifold pressures too.

if we have a nice porting and polishing job with nice exhaust revision then i think that we can easily achieve manifold pressures to pick up turbo more quickly and smoothly and with added AIR it will be a nice boost, but doing that on diesels is quite a challenge.
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Effects of humidity & temp. on combustion

As we all know many engines have Air Intake Temp.sensor

I want to know working of Air Intake Temp.sensor &
    is there any changes in engine performance because of chnages in humidity of air ?
  7. Maverickxx2006

Maverickxx2006 Amatore

Condensation problems

During the rains in Pune for last couple of days I have been plagued with some condensation problems.

I know that when there is condensation inside if you dont turn on the AC and it goes way once AC is turned on.

I always drive with AC on and the problem I'm facing is condensation starts forming outside the windows. Its worse on side and back windows. On front glass, its prominent on top and bottom. Some times it gets to a point that I have to get out and wipe the glass clean from outside. Sometimes I just roll down and roll up the glasses so that they are wiped clean while going down...

If I stop the AC the condensation from outside slightly reduces.Have you faced this kind of issue? Any thoughts?
  8. Even I have faced this problem, not always.

I faced this even with AC on and what I used to do was, for the front glass, use wiper with wash and temporary relief is there or use the "auto" heater.

I think maybe due to residues on the glass, it happens and my friend advised me to thoroughly clean all the glasses with a clean cloth and white toothpaste which will take care of unwanted invisible residues like tar, oil which are not seen by the naked eye.
  9. clash81

clash81 Regolare

I experienced the same when i was in Kerala during the rains. Setting the A/C to Full Auto mode seems to reduce this. Anyway i am not sure, if this is the correct way to deal with this.
  10. redbull

I used to face this with my Hyundai cars, not with my current FIAT Punto. This is kind of catch 22 situation. Blowing cold air to prevent fogging on the inside, but it may lead to fogging outside. First we need to keep the re-circulation vent open, so that fresh air comes in - this will help prevent mist forming inside. Then probably you won't need too much of keeping the AC on, directed to the windscreen. To remove outside fogging, you have to blow warm air on the windshield.