1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Re: Punto active steering lock not working

Steering lock in my Linea also does not seem to be working now. Earlier it used to work - shut off the engine & slightly move steering, it locks with a click. Now its not working. An item to be on the job card for 30K kms service approaching in next 1 month
  2. Re: Punto active steering lock not working

Well I always used to lock it with the engine running. I tried it once with the engine switched off but the steering didn't move. Never heard the 'click' sound either. How do I verify if the steering is indeed locked? Because with the key off, it is anyway difficult to rotate the steering.
  3. VahanPujari

Mumbai

How do you do it while engine is running?
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

That's funny Amit. :)
    But, I would like to know how to rotate the steering and how much(in degrees)? Because even I'm unable to rotate the steering without exerting force and it is not recommended to rotate it with the engine switched off anyways.

Also, does the steering lock after certain degrees of rotation in any position or does it lock when it reaches a particular angle?
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

I think the angle you need to move it in range of 2-5 degree.
    It doesn't need very hard effort, so leave it as it is, check this with some other cars first and then put pressure accordingly to your car.
  6. Re: Punto active steering lock not working

I learned something today. What I used to do was , as soon as the car came to a complete stop, I used to rotate the steering to one side, then switch off the engine and take the key off. I was under the false impression that I was locking the steering. Checked out the 'steering lock' section of the manual today . Need to try that out. Wish I was explained this feature during the delivery of the car :A
  7. VahanPujari

Mumbai

Steering lock can only happen when you turn off the engine & slightly move the steering to any one side. It snugly fits into a standstill position from where it does not move a centimeter. I'm feeling that steering lock in my Linea has stopped working.
  8. gaur4v

gaur4v

Chandigarh

Got fixed on Tuesday by Joshu Auto Zone, they took 2 hours . :dance
  9. NAREN64

NAREN64

COIMBATORE

What had gone wrong in the steering locking mechanism, please inform.
  10. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3

Well even i fail to understand how can u lock the steering when the engine is on???
    Well the purpose of the steering lock is to lock the steering wheel when the car is parked and the engine is powered off...