1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    hydraulic power steering uses engine power to operate unlike eps which uses battery. thus it also affects the FE and rpm
  2. Does any one has the gear ratios of both the 75 and the 90 hp Punto . I have tried to get the details but could not find it in the manual or anywhere.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Cyber d try - ecardlr.com

They should have the ratios.
  4. redbull

I have never driven the SwiftD but I have driven the i20D. I think what I have experienced in i20D is the same "peaky power" at 2000 rpm. I never liked this jerky feeling - and it was one of the chief reasons that I bought Punto 90HP over i20D.

Just read in wikipedia that turbo kick is inevitable in a poor man's performance turbo. Plonk a big one and it won't spool at low rpms but will adequately run the compressor at high rpms. Cars like Figo will be running small turbos which spool up early thus have no lag, but will be performance bottleneck at high rpms because of their small size. 90HP VGT does a good job hiding the "kick" but one can still feel it if the pedal is floored.

In any case I haven't driven the 76HP FGT Punto either. So I guess it should have the turbo kick like the Swift.
  5. No luck, if my memory serves me right, the Palio users manual has the gear ratio's . Let me check once again. Thnx man
  6. Gear Ratio's of the Punto 75 / 90 Hp

1. 3.818
    2. 2.053
    3. 1.302
    4. 0.959
    5. 0.744
    R. 3.909

Now what's the final drive ratio of the Punto, how is Punto slower than swift in gear acceleration discounting the weight. Is final drive ratio responsible or the gear ratio's . Can some one shed light on this.

The source of the above gear ratios are from the Punto work shop manual, which is in Italian ;-)
  7. gurjinder

Italia Linea -A Turbo spools only when it has enough flow of exhaust gases which again is dependent on AIR/FUEL ratio.
    Gurjinder- Absolutely. Air and fuel. Both need to be added. Adding only fuel will only lead to smoke, not a faster spooling turbo.

IL- .At 2200 rpms as you say when the turbo overcomes full inertia the fuel qty is also more making it more rich and so the power delivery is more.
    G-In the VGT, the 'vanes' are almost fully open by that rpm, consequently produces useable boost,i.e air. The ECU compensates by providing more fuel. More air+more fuel= more power.

IL-. The fuel tables in the ecu at 3000 rpms and around at lean as turbo has overcome the inertia and can give perfect A/F ratio for smoke free operation

G- we cannot term it as running lean. As you yourself said, in the boost region of the rev band, it's almost perfect a/f .

IL-. In the whole calculations of diesel engines Fuel qty is very important parameter unlike Petrol engines where ignition timings play the most important role.

G- similar is the case with petrols. Fuel injection quantity is paramount. Lambda sensors, which help in calculating the a/f ratio are very critical to a petrol engine. A diesel would love to run lean, while a for a petrol it will be catastrophic.

IL.Performance turbo cars run very rich and have higher engine capacities so they require and can run a dual turbo or a sequential turbo or a hybrid turbo.
    G- Any car can run a dual / sequentia' turbo. The only limiting factor is the cost involved.

IL. On smaller engines below 2000 cc VGT is the best and FGT is the very basic.

G -VGT is good on any engine, big or small. It is just that to save costs and technical complexity, simple fgt's are employed

8. gurjinder

Definitely both play a part.

But , remember, the difference has to take into account the turbo used and it's A/R, the ECU map of both the Swift D and the Punto.

That will give us the real picture.
  9. That's right but what about the final drive ratio, do we have the figures?
  10. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    No Grande Punto does not have turbo kick like Swift.

Still GP is torqy than Swift because of its Short gear ratio and differant ECU caliberations

Swift :- Turbo kick of Swift is like a Diwali Rocket. once the Turbo kicks in you can't control it.The boost goes out of control.

Punto :- Turbo Kick of GP is like a missile which can be control from Control Tower at the time of war. In GP Turbo boost works as per your throttle input.

So in B2B traffic GP is fun to drive.

As posted by Gurujinder

That Swift surge is good to experience once in a while , but it's not exactly a good thing during routine drive.

100 % correct statement by Guru
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011