1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Let's start from the basics of term gear ratio.

e.g. :-

Let's assume that we have opened the gear box of Swift & GP.
    & took 1st & 2nd gears of Swift & Punto in our hand for observation

You will see that 1st gear of Punto is bigger than 1st gear of Swift.

When we press accelerator what will happen ?

Revolutions of Big 1st gear of Punto will be less as compared to 1st gear of Swift which is small.

Revolutions of small first gear of Swift will be more as compared to 1st gear of Punto which is big.

More revolutions of gear = More Acceleration
    Less revolutions of gear = Less Acceleration

Formula of Gear boxes of all cars is as follows

1st gear = Less speed/acceleration & more torque to pull the weight of the car
    5th gear = More speed/acceleration & less torque to pull the weight of the car.

In this way following conclusion is there.

All gears (1st to 5th) of GP are bigger than all gears of M Swift.
    All gears (1st to 5th) of Swift are smaller than all gears of Grande Punto.

That's why FIAT has kept Gear Ratio of Punto Short at 1st & 2nd gears to pull its bulky weight easily & to keep min.gear changes. So there is less acceleration in 1st & 2nd gear of Grande Punto.

In 5th gear of M Swift,revolutions of gear will be more as compared to Punto.
    So in emergency control,M Swift is difficult to stop as compared to GP.

Tall Gear Ratio means in 5th gear car gets monster speed. So I mentioned that cars having Short gear ratio are safe at higher speed & easily controllable as compared to cars having Tall Gear Ratio.

Tall Gear Ratio is useful for Higher Speed,higher Acceleration & finally for Higher Milege.

That's why Maruti is famous for making "India's Most Fuel Efficient Cars"
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  2. Thanks bhai, thats a neat explanation. I may sound stupid but i feel punto should have atleast 5th gear similar to swift
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    :D

I'm itching to type a reply but logic suggests otherwise.

Cheers!
  4. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    comments in green :), also feel its more to do with the engine tune and where it is made to produce the healthy share of torque and power, other than just the short and tall gears
  5. @Phew,

concur with you.
  6. Sam

Sam Amatore

Mumbai
    Crack on headlamp assembly, water seeping in.

Hi Guys,

I need a quick advise from you all.

Couple of weeks back, an idiot abruptly changed lane and took sharp right turn and STALLED. Guess what happnd next, I bumped into him! Although I managed to brake and thanks to ABS I even managed to turn my car to slight right however the bumper scrathed and idiot's tail lamps broke on my headlamp's assembly tearing it slightly.

Now, it's heavily raining here and water is seeping into headlamp. I contacted fiat service center to see if they have any spare but they didn't! And it may come no sooner than couple of weeks (and I guess by then even rain will subside).

So I taped (adhesive tape) the broken part however before taping the water already seeped in. I went to local garage (near by my office) and told them if they can get the water out so atleast my fear of short circuit would subside BUT they told ITS NOT NECESSARY, headlamp circuit IS WAY INSIDE and water CANNOT REACH THERE! :(

Disappointed I came back and thought to get some advise from you. Is it possible to have short-circuit if I don't drain water? Will short-ciruit affect the vital components like ECU etc and stall my car in mid of rain? Is there any way I can get water out? Any advise will be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Sam
  7. i am from keonjhar though i have many relatives in bhubaneswar

hi guys,
    i saw a few TW punto on road and the colour seems to get dull over a period of time(needs maintenance??). Pls rectify me in case i am wrong...
    Also if anyone can help me with tips on initial cosmetic thngs (paint polish... etc- recommended or not??) which i can do to my TW once it arrives??

Thanks for all your advices ..they rare really very helpful..

In the menwhile pls enjoy some pics of my Royal enfiled Bull
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11211&d=1310367012

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11212&d=1310367012

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11213&d=1310367012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2011
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Worst case scenario - you'll blow a fuse. Not the ECM.

Fuses are there for this purpose only.

If u want, remove the headlight and drain the water through the crack. Hot air will help too.

Or remove the plastic headlamp dome from the headlamp unit, clean tne lamp from inside, and reseal with some fevi kwik. But it's too much work and removing the plastic part isn't gonna be easy.

Gurjinder
  9. In the meanwhile pls enjoy some pics of my Royal enfiled Bull

upload_2014-8-17_1-28-21.png

upload_2014-8-17_1-28-34.png

upload_2014-8-17_1-28-49.png
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Mods Note - Sanjeev, please avoid back-to-back posts.
    For any moderation, please use Report Feature.