1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

hey Kiran

What were the weather conditions in which you experienced this behaviour by the AC system?
    As per what you have written you usually set your AC @ 21deg and keep it in AUTO mode with recycle and you feel warm after some time.
    1) do you adjust the blower speed as well when you feel warm?
    2) do you sweat when you feel warm?
    3) Did you also select whcih blowers shoild air come in from?

Punto 90 HPs AC is not like ordinary cars AC systems even if you keep the AC at auto or manual the cars 1st priority is safety and in case based on its algorith and calculations if the cars systems feels that as per the current settings there is a chance that either the front window or the back window will get mist on it the car will automatically override the user settings and do whatever it feels best to avoid such a situation.
  2. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Fuel consumption with and without AC

I used to get around 18kmpl for my regular office computing -that is regular city traffic with some waiting at signals and speeds between 35kmph and 55kmph and AC on all the time. Of late this has come down to around 16kmpl.:-?
    Just to check, today I covered the distance with AC switched off and I got 20kmpl without any difficulty. :confused:

So my question is whether this difference of 4kmpl with and without AC is normal. I was expecting this to be around 2kmpl. Or is there something I need to check :?:

The car is mjd emotion and has covered 26000 km and is almost due for the 30K service, 15K service was done at 13.4K
  3. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    Kiran, could it be that you feel comfortable (I assume you drive yourself) while the blower is throwing cold air to cool the cabin to the set temperature, and as soon as the temperature is reached, the cooling ceases and you start feeling warm even if the car is around the set temperature.
    I have faced this when I set the ACC temperature at 28degrees. I am normally comfortable at relatively warm ambient temperatures of 25-27degrees. So, I often end up feeling warm at 28degrees when the cooling ceases, and I end up lowering the temperature to 27/26 where it remains comfortable.
  4. I have done 29000km and my 30K service due in 3 months time, I used to travel 20 kms (one way) daily with AC on all the time and I got between 19 and 19.6 kmpl, depending on the road and traffic and twice I drove without AC (when i had a bad flu) and I got is 21.3 kmpl, a difference of around 2 and speeds ranging between 40 and 110 kmph.

Maybe the AC filter has been clogged due to dust and since your 30K service is due, i feel that you get it checked thoroughly from there....... :)
  5. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @royj

Just finished my 1.4 testing without a/c yesterday.I drove ruffly without ac for 53kms(70kms total journey).The MID showed a staggering 16.4kmpl.As soon as i switched on the ac the MID just bothered to go down by 1-1.5kmpl.On reaching home the MID was 15kmpl :D Im gonna drive without ac for a few months(till rains) so that my ECU adapts itself for better pickup and efficiency.My overall avg for yestday's journey was 15kmpl which calculates to 4.6 Litres for 70kms.Im damn Happy with those figures.

Buddy Royj i was getting 9-10-11kmpl with ac.Its completely normal to extract more 4kmpl without ac.AC does consume lots of fuel.

P.S :

I was below 3000rpm 80kmph.Never exceeded this band.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Give the air filter some pressurised air to let it breathe easier. Might help.

Plus, assuming your last oil change was at 15,000, the oil in the engine would be tired by now and might've lost some of its lubricity and increasing friction losses.

FIAT's 15k oil change interval with a semi synth oil is something i disagree with completely.

Gurjinder
  7. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    completely agree with gurjinder, after 15k all that's left is DALDA cooking oil. :p
    I get constantly 17 with AC in Delhi (Hauz khas-Faridabad/Hauz khas-Rohini), on highways around 20 again with ac (hauz khas-sangrur)

every 5k kms engine oil, oil filter, air filter change, and rest all the fluids checked and topped up accordingly

ride flies nice and smooth
  8. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi!,

@Shadowfax - Good to know we have such a highly technical machine under us. Now the question is can our ASS handle these machines? The Service centre has already replaced the 'O' Ring, Radiator/Condensor fan & some sensor.

Mumbai is Humid with temp around 34deg. I usually drive alone in the car with the temp set at 24deg. But as the temp inside cabin was not comfortable I started reducing the same. I adjust the blower speed as & when I feel warm. I use only the central & side vents mostly. The temperature or rather the cooling starts reducing after some time i.e say 30mins +. Today it so happened that the cooling reduced so much that even when I reduced the temp to LO it was not cooling. The cooling is again back to normal after I stop & then restart the car say after 30-60mins. Now the car is at the ASS for a check up. Is there a possiblity of Ice formation somewhere causing this problem?

@abk1980 - Yes I drive myself. If the cabin is @ a set temp we get used to that temp and even a slight change I think we can notice the same. Temp 21-24 deg is really cold. You cannot sit in a control room or a data centre for long wherein the temp is maintained @22degs or less. Have you noticed whether the blower automatically reduce or increase the speed as & when the temp changes inside the cabin?

Thanks
    Kiran
  9. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    Looks like the compressor is having some trouble in switching! The best thing you can do is take it to a good ac workshop, where they do check all the things in the ac system and repair it.
  10. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The car is only 6232 kms old, hence donot want any other complications by taking it to a outside mechanic.