1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Re: How to remove GP antenna or is it removable at all?

The Punto antenna is one piece.. cannot detach it..
  2. Does 1.2 L GP feel underpowered on ghats?

I feel like engine making strange noise (though small) and have to press gas padel harder without much outcome while climbing on ghats. Feel so in 3rd gear and have to use 2nd gear but no power and seems like engine is about to cry. Don’t try 1st gear. Has anyone faced it? May be due to I’m not a regular ghat driver and missing some tricks?

I mostly go in and around pune so felt this during katraj ghat, lonavala ghat NH4 (khopoli to expressway leading to pune). Else its a butter smooth drive at 130-140 kmph on expressway etc...
  3. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Re: Does 1.2 L GP feel underpowered on ghats?

Hi,
    The trick is the speed at which you are traveling. If you want to climb an incline in 3rd gear in 20kmph, it will surely struggle. Downshift early and drive normally. I have driven it many times through hilly areas fully packed, including the NH4, no issues with power. Anyway its a heavy car, but the engine is adequately powerful to take it to any terrain.

Drive safe and enjoy !!!
    --Rajeev
  4. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3

@Pinakin : does it happen that you press the accelerator pedal and get absolutely NO response from the car ?

If yes : the problem might be something else and not your driving style
  5. Re: Does 1.2 L GP feel underpowered on ghats?

@Amogh: I get response but not as I would expect (I know it would not be same on hills). If there is a problem with the car then it should happen on straight roads as well (no?), which I have never felt so far. I don’t use 1st gear much apart from just bringing the car in motion as it’s very short, though I‘ve seen it improving after 3K on odo.

@Rajeev: probably you are right (Downshift early and drive normally) and wanted to know how the experience of other 1.2 owners is.
  6. nmp

nmp Amatore

Thane, Mumbai

+1 Rajiv

I have driven my GP many times through Kasara (Mumbai-Nasik Highway) and once through Malshej Ghat (Kalyan-Nagar Highway). Yes initially I too thought it lacks the power, but once used to, I've never face the problem again.

The overall experience of 1.2 is awesome, except perhaps the cooling of AC or rather lack of cooling.
  7. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2

Well, When i took her for the first trip to Mumbai, at MIDC pipeline road (a narrow road with a nasty curved climb) I got stuck in 3rd gear (on shilphata side), 2nd gear was also not helpful. Then put it first to move on. :cry: After that whenever there is a lack of power, I downshift 2 times, that is from 5th to 3, 4th to 2nd though never felt like going to 1st from 3rd. But as I said earlier, it all depends on the speed. Later I climbed the same stretch in 3rd gear when it was empty. :cool: . Yes driving in ghats require expertise, but believe me with Punto you can go anywhere without fear

--Rajeev
  8. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Not at all. I've given detaild report regarding 1.2 performance in hills. I travelled to Massoorie with 4 adults and 2 kids with boot full. 1.2 is not at all underpowered.

Really enjoyed hilly driving.
  9. Pramit

Pramit Amatore

Hyderabad

I think its all about the momentum. When approaching a hairpin turn on the ghat make sure that you are high on revs and downshift before getting on the incline instead of downshifting when on the incline. You will definitely see some improvement in the performance.
  10. Re: Does 1.2 L GP feel underpowered on ghats?

This trick seems to be working in my case, I feel that it would take some time to practice this on ghats. But I often hear some small extra noise coming out from the engine when the car is climbing on the steep road (like engine is getting over loaded) and more often with AC on. Could it be because I’m not completely doing downshift early and drive normally?