1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    At any point of time when a diesel engine is running there is adequate pressure for combustion. With out that the diesel engine will not run, period.
    The statement "low rpms leads to lesser pressure for combustion." makes one think that the pressure is insufficient and lead to problems. This definitely is not the case here.
  2. jayadev
    sir the point you made might be applicable to the 1.2 fire i guess. with the ac on, the breaks do not have the bite..
  3. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    So I think this is the main reason why it is said that you should not raise the engine rpm before stopping in the new gen diesel engines as done in older diesel engines.
  4. CountRock

CountRock Staff Member Janitor

Dallas, Texas
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    That makes no sense at all.

Can you please rephrase this? not sure what point you are trying to make.
  5. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    it is vice versa. end of the day turbines are drenched in oil which needs to be spilled out before you turn it off else next day when you start it will all be a mess.

afaik rather than just lubrication it is the thermal shock which is fatal for a turbines leading to failure and it is again thermal shock much detrimental to anything else in IC engines.

ya i get it there is chances of misunderstanding or misinterpretation from my statement.

what if you try to drive the car below 800rpm , what all you expect?
    there are sweet spots in any engine where it performs at its best.
    you drop a rubber ball from a hight it may bounce twice, you drop the same ball from further high it may bounce more.

rather than sticking with old axioms religiously it better to find ways of improvement.

engine have better warming up abilities under bit higher rpms but just below the turbo boost range. a good driver will sense it consciously.

though it is not easy to maintain optimum rpm in early morning ,where you open your gate to join the city traffic; situation could be berserk , then 60sec idling could be preferred.

and..

i have driven almost 5k km ,3.0 ltr tdci engine with blown turbo(not blown by me). green smoke,grey smoke,blue smoke you can see all sort of smoke.(poor thing).
    reason for blown turbo- i think you dont wanna know.
  6. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    I have seen in old generation diesel cars, the driver used to press the accelerator and raise the engine rpm twice or thrice before stopping the engine. Seen most of the diesel ambassador drivers doing so..
  7. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    that is for old generation engine.
    doesn't help (rather dangerous )for turbo driven engine.
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    A perfectly good thread ruined by baseless arguments. Sigh.....:sadblue

Gurjinder.
  9. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    excuse me.

" I know that i know nothing '' - allow me to learn!!!
    -Jay
  10. Maverickxx2006

Maverickxx2006 Amatore

Pune
    Oil leakeage > How to check gear oil levels

Couple of months back my Punto's pressure plate wa changed, during that gear oil was replaced.

Couple of weeks back during Fiat Service check camp, the guys diagnosed that there is oil leakage in the sump - gear oil. It seems probably the service station guys must have messedup with the packings. I had some times seen oil drops in the floor parking, but not always.

Now I'm not sure how much leakage is there or what is the gear oil levels. I have checked the engine oil level and its alright.

Tomorrow I need to drive for 250 kms out of Pune. I'm not sure if I should drive or should I take the car to the service station to check the gear oil level.

Is it possible to check the gear oil levels at home? I understand its difficult and need to remove one 12mm allan screw.

Any help?
    Last edited: May 20, 2011