1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Engine choking and then recovering is not normal. If it happens routinely , then a visit to the service centre is due.
    About your second query, TFI'ans having Puntos will have the better opinion.

The Linea has the 90 hp engine , and i dont really feel a difference with the AC being on or off. 75hp Punto owners can clarify better.

Gurjinder.
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @chethansgangoor
    Blower speed variation, Engine choking and recovering at Idle is not normal. What is your car's RPM at Idle w/o AC and with AC. Does it get below your normal Idle RPM.
    Have it checked ASAP.

Pull gets a little less with AC ON, it's normal. Workaround for this push paddle a little more ECU will shut AC compressor off for few seconds to give you more power.
  3. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @trance_nut

loss of power -----> reset ur ecu settings to an extent by disconnecting the -ive terminal of the battery for a good 30mins..and then check any difference..
  4. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have the Punto 1.3 MJD.

With the ac on and outside temps in the 40s, there is a perceptible drop in the power specially at low RPMs. It is not so perceptible, with the turbo cut in.

In Delhi B2B traffic when you are really moving slowly under these conditions, I find it better to drop down to first gear. In 2nd gear, if you are not careful, the engine could shut down.

Johnny
  5. gurjinder

Punjab
    Sorry for the huge off topic , but i thought i'll write a few lines about ecu "resetting"

Based on what i'd read on the net and this is how i'd implemented it in our Palio 1.9D a year or two ago :

1. Before doing the ecu resetting , make sure the car is upto operating temperature.
    2. Disconnect the -ve terminal of the battery from the car.
    3. Now, turn the key to MAR position.
    4. To make sure all the charge in the capacitors of the ECU is drained out ( the actual resetting of the ECU) switch on the headlights, the turn signals ,keep foot on the brake pedal etc anything which can draw current.
    ( Yes i know switching on the headlights while the -ve terminal is disconnected will not make the headlights glow, but it will drain the ECU )
    5. Keep it like this for atleast 15-30 minutes.
    6. Re-connect the battery.
    7. Warm up the engine if it has cooled down considerably.
    8. Take the car to a secluded road( safety of yourself, your car and others is paramount) and drive it like you stole it. Rev the tits off it while working through the gears.

This is the way i had reset the ECU of our Palio D . Yes i did note a difference in the performance , but after a few days of sedate driving , it was back to its earlier self.

Disclaimer - I am not responsible for any thing you do to your car, and can not be held liable for any damage you may do by reading this post and applying it to your car.Do it at your own risk.

Gurjinder.
    P.S. Viny, i copied your disclaimer.:p
  6. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    My experience with A/C on is terrible so far. First of all my driving was very patchy, on top of that i was being very careful of not pushing the rpms to high ranges initially when i got the car. In 2nd gear, the car use to stall frequently.

As it is bangalore and with summer showers, the overall climate is mild now. I found a way to escape the problem with A/C - Just shut it off.

As i am gradually picking up my driving skills and subsequently pushing the engine RPM to higher levels, i am able to maintain the car without stalling.

Anyway yesterday with A/C on, i was climbing the office parking ramp and the vehicle came to halt. Needles to say, i had a few nerve wrecking moments :oops:
  7. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    clash81,
    if i am not wrong you own P90hp.

then it is unbelievable for me to note that ac is overloading the engine.

afaik from my ride, ac load is hardly noticeable even in LO 16degree setting. thanks to enormous 209nm torque and first gear punto is virtually unstoppable with five passenger,full ac and additional luggage.

i have never encountered a stall or halt situation ever in 8k+ km.
  8. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    my experience is the other way round, I live and work in Jaipur, Rajasthan... outside temp of 42+ degrees these days and I drive a simple 1.4Punto E Pk.

AC kit was upgraded some 2 months back, it didnt make much difference, cooling is normal and chills the cabin very nicely.
    I climb my my office ramp yesterday on 1st gear without pressing the gas pedal... its a 2 storey climb.. so imagine the curves to be negotiated and unethical humps... all these were easily tackled by 1.4FIRE very well.... i had a small smile at the end of the ramp.. it was like driving an automatic geared car.... I have tried this 3-4 times now and havent faced any issues of stalling etc... however I did face stalling issues during 1st week of owning the car and that was due to driving style habits and adjustment to a new car and clutch.... nothing more... so it can be anything from your driving style to car's (non) ability to supply adequate fuel when the car climbs on its own (Auto Climb Assist)

cheers
  9. Guys, I observed the RPM needle carefully today, here is it what happens:
    Scenario 1:

1. Start, Idling: 900 RPM
    2. Turn on AC: RPM falls to 800 RPM
    3. Turn off AC within 30 seconds: RPM climbs to 950 and settle downs at 900 RPM

Scenario 2:

1. Start, Idling: 900 RPM
    2. Turn on AC: RPM falls to 800 RPM
    3. Keep the car in this condition for 3 mins: RPM fell one time to 700~750 and climbed back to 800, during this drop in RPM, the blower speed fell too.
    3. Turn off AC: RPM climbs to 950 and settle downs at 900 RPM
  10. gurjinder

Punjab
    @chethan

Have you tried the above on a engine which is at its proper operating temperature?

Gurjinder.