1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Minor Issues - Others

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gururajanv, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Yeah do reset the Trip meter, TASS must have kept the car running in the workshop for long long time resulting in the drop of FE,

Varoon9999, I mean to say the engine running, Not the car,,

Mods Note- Tony Bhai use the Edit button rather than making a new post.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2011
  2. arun_chak

Just drove down to Pondicherry and back. Got a FE of 15kmpl on MID when car was at 100KMPH. Finally averaged to 14.2KMPL (340kms). This was because I made her to run at 140KMPH sometimes ;). And she did just fine at that speed.. rock solid and sturdy. Really an amazing car. Thanks for all the tips n tricks. Finally it seems that the traffic condition is the killer for me in City. Don't think that this has anything to do with my car. Still learning to drive her in an optimum way. Each day I drive her, its a new experience :)

3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    That's great. :)
    Just keep your car between 1500-1800rpm and upshift in such a way that you do not land below 1500rpm especially in the ghat section/uphill.
  4. jumu

jumu Superiore

Hi Arun,

I think you are doing the right things now. the highway FE makes it clear that there is nothing wrong with your car but it is the avg speed. Your cars engine is like a generator in traffic doing nothing more than producing power to keep you cool and that should be an important realization. You have got a lot of feed back now from our friends. Try implementing them and you will be able to unlock the values of your GP

5. ratanshivi

ratanshivi Regolare

Mald (East)
    Hey! One more point to be noted is that ur speedo display always shows a lower FE compared to what u actually get when u go from a full tank to a full tank and divide the no of actual klms u hv really covered. In my car it displays 9.6 but i get approx 11 nd is much better on long distances. Whatever u do or say Fe in the city sucks. Moreover after the A/c upgrade the Fe has dropped a little more.
  6. arun_chak

I always relied on MID FE display. Never did a manual calculation. Now that you are telling there is a difference, I will do it going forward.
  7. trance_nut

New Delhi
    Engine Load with AC on

With summer hitting Delhi the hardest over the past one week, the AC on my GP MJD is working overtime to maintain the cabin at 25 deg C. However there are two difference that i have felt when the outside temp is 40 deg vs when it is 30 deg.

1. There is more engine braking on low revs. Say if i am in 2nd gear at 2K rpm and leave the accelerator, i can feel the car decelerate more when the AC is working furiously. Over 60 kmph (in 3-4 gear) (when the air flow is good over the radiator) the deceleration is quite less.

2. There is a slight humming noise that i can hear when the AC is on as compared to when its OFF.

The reason i am asking this is because the other car i drive is a Safari, and there the engine being a 3L, it can provide sufficient power such that with AC on, there is almost no effect on the driving characteristics of the car

Is the above mentioned behavior normal or do i have to visit the TASS? My GP has clocked 17K kms.
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

1. The deceleration being more in the 2nd gear than in the 3-4 gears has more to do with the shorter gear ratio of the 2nd gear compared to the 3rd or 4th gear.

2. Yes , i've felt the humming noise too and it was the fan so i dont think there are any issues with that.

I dont think a visit to TASC is due. For peace of mind, you may.

9. trance_nut

New Delhi
    Thanks for the reply, Gurjinder. I understand the deceleration is due to the gearing being short in 2nd gear, but its more with AC on than AC off. Have you felt the same in your car too?

10. Gurjinder, when at idling and AC on, i can see variation in blower speed, the engine seems to choke and recovers, is this behaviour common?.

Also i have seen the turbo range loosing its punch and gets bit grousy and straining with AC on, not sure it is common to all punto mjds